Door to Door?

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

flea market

Post by Anonymous »

Business is slowing down for the season and I was considering the possibility of doing a little door to door WSR. Is there anyone out there that might have any opinions or experience with this. All comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jared
Anonymous

Door to Door?

Post by Anonymous »

I've knocked more doors than I care to count. It works but be prepared for lotsa rejection. If you get your feelings hurt too easy don't do it.

I don't do much of it now but when we started out it was our only marketing program.

It works great this time of year because people want to wait till spring to replace.

There is no slow time for wsr. When it gets slow you gotta get busy.
Anonymous

Door to Door

Post by Anonymous »

Many communities have regulations regarding door-to-door solicitation, ranging from requiring you to be registered and have an ID tag clearly visible on your person, to not allowing it at all. It would be wise to find out about this before beginning...every neighborhood has its 'watchdog' who will report you if you havent crossed your t's and dotted your i's.
Distrubuting flyers via 'door-hangers' is another effective way to get the word out without wearing out your own shoes... pay a couple of neighborhood kids to deliver them for you (for safety, they should work in teams).
Anonymous

re: door to door

Post by Anonymous »

First of all, let's differentiate between residential and commercial door knocking. Most communities have some restrictions on soliciting private homes as well as the ubiqutious "no soliciting" signs that many people have on their doors. You may however, as Grace mentioned, distribute "flyers" by yourself or by paying someone to distribute them for you. I suggest checking with your local ordinances first. In most cases, a flyer may be hung on a door in plastic bag designed for this purpose that you can buy from packaging suppliers. Remember. it is ILLEGAL to use anyones mail box to leave any material that didn't come through the post office.
Now, regarding commercial door knocking, any business can be approached. What I am doing is going to office and industrial parks and distributing my flyers by going in and asking simply, "may I please leave you a flyer?".
I hand the person my flyer and observe their body language. If they are preoccupied, I say, thank you and have a nice day and I'm out the door. Sometimes, they will ask me questions and the conservation starts that leads to me doing a repair to selling a replacement. Most of the work I get comes from people calling me after seeing the flyer and as I always get a business card and keep track of where I've been and who I've talked to, I will call back people after a couple weeks to see if they need a repair or replacement.
Many businesses also have "no soliciting" signs but I still go in and ask if I can please leave them a flyer. NOONE has ever refused and if they have any interest I let them start the conservation or call me so this can't be construed as soliciting.
Good Luck, I hope this is helpful, it is working for me as it is my only way to get business. I don't have a yellow page listing, so it is up to me to get out and let people know who I am and what I do.
There are some who say that business is bad but this simply should tell you that you need to work more to keep business coming in. Early in '02 I made the committment to this business and got set up with the networks so I could do insurance work. In spite of the economy, the job market and my job skills, I realized that everyone still has to pay their insurance and their windshields are still getting broken.
You also need to devise a good "tracking system" for following up on leads as well as tracking your fleet accounts.
There are several software packages avaiable for this, but I use an old fashioned "31 day" file to remind me who I need to call and when.
Anonymous

door to door

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the comments guys they are really helpful. I wasn't aware that there is so much problem with residential door to door, I will have to look into the limitations around here. I hadn't thought of the possibilities of commercial D2D. I will look into that. Is there anyone else out there that has had success doing door to door residentially?

Thanks
Anonymous

Thanks.

Post by Anonymous »

I can't think of anything more time consuming than doing one-one-one, face-to-face selling. Do a little math before you start hitting the bricks.

Let's assume that your average call takes five minutes (walking to the house, ringing the bell, waiting to see if anyone is home, and occasionally talking to a live person and giving your sales pitch). To canvass a street of 50 homes will take you a little over 4 hours.

Now, instead, sit down and write a one-page sales letter. Take it to the printer and get 200 copies made. Then find a kid to place all 200 letters on door knobs.

Here's the leverage...

Write a sales letter...1 hour
Cost of printing...$10
Payment to kid...$5
Time to print and instruct kid...1 hour

So for HALF the time (and $15) you'll get your message to FOUR TIMES as many residents. You can always make the $15 back, but you can't get the 2 extra hours back.

A long time ago I made the mistake of knocking on doors so I know what you're going through. But when I started using the letter/leverage strategy I quadrupled the results in half the time. Give it a shot!
Anonymous

Leverage your time!

Post by Anonymous »

Ron, thanks for the reply.
I pay a guy to deliver 20,000 fliers per month on people's door steps, but I havn't gotten the response I was expecting, actually it has been dead, so I was thinking the IN PERSON thing would get some better results. If the people aren't home then we plan to leave something hanging on their door knob. All I really need is to average around 1 per hour or so.

I do apreciate all the response, and input to my brainstorm.
Anonymous

Fliers?

Post by Anonymous »

I went out in a local neighborhood today and did door to door repair today, just asking if they had any chips or cracks I might be able to repair for free. Today was my first day trying this and in 4 hours I did 9 different repairs. I had two friends out ahead of me doing the knocking and whenever they would find a customer I would just drive over to them and do the insurance thing and the repair. Some were cash but most were insurance. It was a good day and now I think I will try this more often, as far as I know there are no restrictions to doing this in my area.. granted that today was a holiday and a lot of people were home, but I should be able to have good success if I give it a couple of more hours a day on my own.

Anyway, Good luck

Omni Glass Repair
Anonymous

Residential

Post by Anonymous »

Nice going Omni,

Don't forget to compensate your door knockers. You actually have the easy part of repairing the windshields.

Good door to door sales people are hard to find if you have two good ones HANG ON TO THEM!

It is a great way to get business if you can handle the rejection. Way to go Stud!

Saturdays and Sundays are great days too.

cracker
Anonymous

door to door

Post by Anonymous »

Congrats Omni...

I like to hear when someone is doing well. Cracker makes a good point, take care of your salesmen. If you want to let me rent them just let me know. I have not tried door to door yet but I don't think I have it in me. Living on the east coast, well lets just say you never know what kind of response you might get. Anyway keep it up and pocket the rewards of your hard work.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]