tuff lite

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
jac59

tuff lite

Post by jac59 »

Today i had a ford ranger that they use to follow behind mobilehomes.
As i looked at the lite it was not a brown or yellow colored just looked Haze white can see on the inside well i thought it was going to be a easy job but it turned out like i didnt even touched it. I hit it with 240,500,800,1000.2000 and it looked the same as the one on the other side which i have not touched i asked them if anyone has worked on it before they said they didnt know.
As i sand it never hardly turned frost white like most plastics any one come across this before?
harrellbenjamin

Re: tuff lite

Post by harrellbenjamin »

It may have been cleared with urethane Automotive clear.Some of it will dry very hard .Thats why its not yellow but white and hard to sand.The solvents will turn some lens white over time when sprayed with Clear coat.I would wipe them well with lacquer thinner to try and lift the old clear and then sand with air sander(3") starting with 220 wet and then work your way up.The first thing you have to do is get the lens surface sanded and get the old clear off. The old stuff off.Then recoat
jac59

Post by jac59 »

Yeah it was hard to sand i mean after a hard sanding there was not even a change on the surface sand wipe off still looked like i didnt even touch it.
Im sure it could be urethane Automotive clear which might have came from a bodyshop and they didnt think of that im going to carry me a can lacquer thinner if i come across one again.
I only started on 1 lite and i was not pleased with it and it did not look any difffrents and i didnt charge them if only i knew about this i could have got a few more jobs which they had about 5 more trucks and i dont know what company it was they came to me so looks like i have lost them.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

did you use the wd40? it seems to sofen the stuff but its still a hard sand I have had to use auto paint reducer in the past
jac59

Post by jac59 »

yeah i used wd-40 also water and sanded hard for a long time.:(