Plate Glass Repair

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Plate Glass Repair

Post by Bois »

I've been asked by a customer to see if I can repair a BB shot break in her store front window. I examined the break and it looks like a Combo. She's more concerned with the legs spreading further than with the actual BB hole (bullseye). Of course, the glass is missing from the bullseye portion of the break. Does anyone on this forum repair plate glass? If so, do you have any hints or suggestions?

I've thought about taking the suction cup off one of my mirrors and placing it over the break on the inside with a curing tab between it and the glass. I'd use a bridge/injector assembly to hold the mirror in place. Then fill the break from the outside using my other injector. I know this would require a lot of resin. Don't know if I'd use regular resin or pit resin. Don't know if pit resin would seep into the cracks. Any help would be appreciated.

Dale...
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Plate Glass Repair

Post by screenman »

Bois,
I know it is nice to help people out but I tend to stay clear of jobs like this. Maily due to liability problems. However I have repaired lamniated shop windows on a few occasion's. I think the method you describe might partly work although you will lose a lot of resin I would use normal resin first or even go to a store and buy a tube of glassbond or whatever you call it over there.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over