Newbie help with rain

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Essex&Herts
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Newbie help with rain

Post by Essex&Herts »

Hi guys

Fairly new to this repair business and approaching my first winter in the UK. My question is this......when people carry out a site inspection on fleets/dealerships what do you do if it's been raining and you need to inspect say 20+ vehicles? Wipe the screen with a towel, squeegie or do you have other ideas?

Opinions appreciated.

Thank you.

Steve
WessexWindscreens

Re: Newbie help with rain

Post by WessexWindscreens »

Hi Steve.
Yes you're right, rain and early morning dew on a screen can be a pain here in the UK especially if you're inspecting a fleet of vehicles. I've found that the best thing for clearing it quickly is a rubber blade. You can get them from most motor shops (Halfords etc). They are very effective much more so than a chamois which needs constant wringing out and allows you to see the screen instantly. Good luck.
Nick
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

It is good to see a couple of UK guys on here. I agree with Nick a hydro blade is the way to go, I do however try and have my booked jobs for the morning and inspections if possible later in the day.

Worst thing about this time of year is having to dry every single repair out, drystar and heatsink speed that up though.
Essex&Herts

Post by Essex&Herts »

Thanks Guys.

How long have you been in the business? I only started in February, complete change of career from being a courier. Most of my work is from inspections, not much gets booked in.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Over 26 years in WSR. Likewise mine is inspection mainly, for me it is the best sort of work as I never do less than 3 repairs per visit and often a lot more. My customers know what days I will be there so they save the jobs up for me.

Did you franchise or go it alone? what tools are you using.
WessexWindscreens

Post by WessexWindscreens »

Been repairing for 10 years, I also do a bit of fitting although repairs still account for about 95% of my work. Used to do alot of car park/insurance work but now mainly fleet and dealerships.
Essex&Herts

Post by Essex&Herts »

Originally I was in a franchise which didn't work out as well as I hoped but I think that will turn out for the best.

I can carry out an inspection at some garages and find nothing but others can have 4 or 5 repairs. I am aiming for 4 repairs per day at the moment as I am still in my early stages and still cold calling to drum up business.

I was looking to do insurance work but knowing what they are like when it comes to paying out I guess it's not worth the wait for a small amount of money?

What do you guys charge?