Resin viscosity score

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
HBCC
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Resin viscosity score

Post by HBCC »

Is there some information / documentation so I may learn about the different viscosity of resins, there uses and why I should be using one over the other ?

One question I do believe may be able to be answered right now for me is:

If I had 2 pit resins, one rated at 1000 and one rated at 3000. Once cured, will one polish to a more glass like finish than the other ?
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Resin viscosity score

Post by t4k »

When I first started in this business I wanted to buy every kind of resin that was available for different types of chips. I quickly realized I only needed one type of resin for every chip and that resin is Magnibond by Delta Kits. It provides the exact viscosity I need for every chip I run across.

Good luck!
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

HBCC wrote:Is there some information / documentation, so I may learn about the different viscosity of resins, their uses and why I should be using one over the other?

One question I do believe may be able to be answered right now for me is:

If I had 2 pit resins, one rated at 1000 and one rated at 3000. Once cured, will one polish to a more glass like finish than the other?
I provided a couple of links in another thread on this Board regarding viscosity. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8546

As for which viscosity you should use for a particular application, you will get a variety of opinions depending on who you ask. Although Delta Kits sells a variety of different viscosities for those who prefer a higher viscosity for hot weather, a low acid resin for chemical sensitive skin, tinted resin, or multiple viscosities for cracks, I still prefer to use just one high-quality low viscosity fill resin and one high-quality high viscosity pit filler for all my repairs. Buy windshield repair resin on Amazon.

And to your question regarding 1000 vs 3000cps resin, assuming there are no other differences in the product you will not likely see any visual difference in the cured finish. Often, but not always, a higher viscosity resin will also have a higher shore hardness, which provides improved durability. By contrast, injection resins need to be more flexible to allow for expansion and contraction as the glass flexes under stress and varying temperature extremes.

Windshield repair resin refill options are available at Delta Kits, too!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
HBCC
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by HBCC »

Thank you both for your information it is extremely helpful to me.