Equipment and Resin

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
bill lambeth

Equipment and Resin

Post by bill lambeth »

Since we have so many newbies! Let's find out what everybody is using and why !
ASAPWR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Equipment and Resin

Post by ASAPWR »

Bill, thanks for starting this thread. This newbie is interested in seeing some replies.
ASAPWR

Post by ASAPWR »

I have a question for Delta Kits bridge users. I have two B300 bridges that are in working order. I'm curious of the advantages of the B250 over the B300 and is it worth buying the upgrade kit for one or both of my B300s.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Well since so many people seem to be scared to tell what they are using , I will start since I started the thread . I use the 3 b150 bridges and 2 LR QT'S and one MVP. I use magnabond ,GT MV , Amber GW , Gray GW , followed with GT pit , GT gloss. I used a Delta injector for about 6 months and just decided it was not for me . I am Delta certified and have been to their training which is awesome . I tried US windshield repair injector and did not like it ! I have ordered the spectrum with the bluewave from GT and going to give it a spin. All these companies I mentioned have great service . I think most of you will find if you stay in this business you never quit experimenting and trying to stay ahead of the competitor. That can be real easy if you are measured against Safelite .
The reason I am trying the Spectrum for first reason - I really like the way it loads the resin, 2nd , More vacuum and less pressure then most displacement injectors, 3rd the wicking in step under vacuum . . 4th Dryvac
The reason I have started using GT resin is less acrylic than the magnabond . Don't get me wrong Magnabond is a good resin . The GT resin seems to hide the skeleton a little more than the magnabond but of course that is just my humble opinion.
EMCAutoGlass

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

I've been in the business for just over a year and have been experimenting with different injectors and resins, as it seems most everyone else has as well. I was factory trained/certified through GW, so I bought their kit to start off. I continue to use the GW injector for chip repairs, and I've added UB injectors, resins, and bridges for long cracks. I only use the UB injector for chips when I have two chips to repair simultaneously. I'm looking to add a Delta injector down the road as well. I also added some UB (20, 40, 60 cps) chip repair resins and they seem okay. I have the GW amber and clear, but I recently added Delta's Magnibond, Premium pit plus, and polish. Great results so far with the DK resin. The pit filler is outstanding. Bill, you mentioned using the GW gray. Do you think it hides star breaks/legs better than clear resins?
Thanks
-Marty
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Marty I do think the gray helps with refraction and will continue to use it on stars.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Delta all the way, I have tried and trained people on most other kits and found them often lacking, or they have made them too large when trying to reinvent the wheel. Magnibond resin, well why not it does everything from star breaks to 1 inch cracks well.

As for different colors, the marketing guys love you folk, understand what has happened when glass breaks and you will know they are certainly not needed. Just my humble opinion backed up by 26 years of earning a very good living by doing WSR.

Judging by what some of you guys carry it makes me wonder how I do so well from WSR, must be something else that has an impact away from the massive tool collection.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

"Marketing guys loves you folks" the cost of my resin is the average of all the big guys resin so I don't see how I am paying more for amber or gray. Maybe some of us are not set in our ways and are open minded enough keep experimenting ! I realize that the difference in gray and clear resin end result is probably like splitting hairs but if I can achieve 1/2% better repair I will take it ! There are a lot of guys on the forum who have been using these for years and are very good at what they do just like you are . Each is to their own!
t4k

Post by t4k »

Delta and Delta.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Bill I never stop experimenting, how often have you heard me say go back to your practise screen, well not you personally but you get my drift. Everything within reason that gets posted on here gets checked out by myself, I have too it is my way and tinted resins were amongst many.

Now as I have done many years ago explained why tinted resins are not required, would you tell us th reason why you think they are. As I see it I get two pieces of grey glass and stick them together with a totally clear liquid I get grey glass, if I use a tinted resin I get, yep! grey glass. Now thinking onto how thick the resin would be say a micron or two the tint in any resin would be totally invisible to the naked eye.

How do you tell a 1 or 2% improvement?