Another new guy

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
rydik
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Another new guy

Post by rydik »

First off i want to give a big big thanks to Korey who got me all hooked up with a new kit from delta coming for WSR, and HLR. Can't wait.
I guess a quick intro is in order. My name is Igor, i've been on this forum reading through all the older posts and gathering the wealth of information that's on here from all the pros. Thanks again for all the info you guys are sharing on here to help guys like me who are just getting started in this business. What got me interested in this business was a repair that a guy did on my windshield about a month ago from a franchised tent location near a shopping mall. I was asking him questions because the guy really enjoyed what he was doing, and it wasn't even his own location. When he got my insurance on the phone and they were confirming a few things, i asked how much they were going to pay for this repair, and they said $75. Thats when the little light came on, and i was instantly intrigued. I knew i could do this. I still hold my full time job, and i will be starting this out part time, after work and on the weekends. I have a few friends that own repair shops around town and are willing to send me jobs. I also have a few friends who own used car dealerships and were pretty excited when i told them about my new venture. I've been i sales for a long time, and have no problem going out and meeting with managers to get more accounts. So thats the gist of it. thanks again for all the input, i'm sure i'll have more questions once i get hands on with the kits. I will post pictures as soon as i do a few. I am planning on attending the class from delta as well as soon as schedule cleans up a bit.
candyman

Re: Another new guy

Post by candyman »

I would suggest attend the class prior to charging someone. Practice as much as possible on an old WS. You will have a better understanding of what to do by attending DK's class, and have more confidence in yourself.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Welcome and I wish you luck, but please get the skills required before you start billing.
rydik

Post by rydik »

Oh absolutely plan on doing so. Getting a practice windshield first. I will practice on that for a while, and then plan on attending Delta kiTs class. I want to get hands-on experience before bIlling like you guys said.I'm all about customer satisfaction and retention that's how you get the best referrals for life.
pa glass

Post by pa glass »

I don't have any idea how you will practice on a windshield "for a while". It either has a chip in it or it does not. You will not be able to hit it with a rock and make a chip that you can use to practice with. You will have to try a junk yard that will let you play around in side the cars. Those will be older chips filled with dirt and so a more realistic challenge. If you had just a windshield d removed from a car for instance, it will not be in the sane orientation as one in a vehicle. It will also bend and stress and open or close the cracks. There is no substitute for an installed windshield with an actual rock from the road chip.

As far as dealers you should realize you are not going to get anything near $75. from those cheap Bast ards . When you "go to them" for work you are at a leverage disadvantage. I only take work that comes to me by referral or repeat. A dealer may pay as high as $25 for one and will expect $15 per for multiples.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

There are tools that you can use to make stars and combos in practice w/s. As far as dealers you are right they suck but when starting out it might be good for you. I find that a lot of the car lots chips have multiples that have dirt as well ! I don't fool with car lots ! My time is worth more than fixing 4 chips in one car for 20 dollars!
screenman

Post by screenman »

You can make any style of break you want in a practise glass, you can also make it just like you are working on a vehicle, it goes without needing saying that making it wet is not hard either.

Now as for dealers, I love them I get top dollar also, how? you got to know how to sell to them, how to make yourself the go to repairer, last you got to have the balls to be tougher than they pretend to be.

Not everybody, not even dealers buy on price alone, if that is your only bargaining tool then I suggest some sales lessons.
rydik

Post by rydik »

Pa glass, I guess I should have been clear in my for a while comment. I plan on practicing on a winshield first as far as drilling and make breaks and fixing them getting moisture out. Just getting a feel for the tools. I completely agree about your
comment that its not the same as a real one in everyway.i plan on practicing on real ones too on friend cars and family members.
rydik

Post by rydik »

Thought I'd update an existing page. Finally got my website up and running still practicing away at chips and cracks. Would love to hear your thoughts tips suggestions about the site. Currently working on getting Google ad words account configured properly for advertising.
{URL Removed}
Hope this is OK per rules.
Thanks
Last edited by Brent Deines on November 29th, 2013, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL Removed
screenman

Post by screenman »

Although I feel a website is a good idea, although I do not have one for the repair part of my business. The reason being I have found with talking to many have that it seldom brings in quality regular work, fleets and dealers who will bring regular work 12 months of the year require calling on often and professionally to build a good base.