LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR US

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
alamochip
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR US

Post by alamochip »

Who has the cheapest liability insurance for us to run a business in 2013. I'm located in San Antonio, TX. Would that matter?

How many of you don't have it. Who has it. Why? Is this something we need?. Would a property owner like carwash or gas station asks to see our insurance?

Thanks,
George
Alamo Chip, LLC.
SuperGlassDC

Re: LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR US

Post by SuperGlassDC »

You need insurance, If you break a windshield while repairing it you are liable, and people want to sue over every little thing these days.

State farm is around 150 for a million dollar policy.

Allstate and geico will not cover you unless you get a commercial auto policy as well. FYI
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Dave M »

SuperGlassDC,
I hope you are not saying that if you break a windshield while doing a repair that your liability insurance will pay for a new one?
I'd suggest double checking with your agent about that!
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

You just need to do a google search for commercial insurance and start making calls. If RLI is too expensive for you, then I don't know what other info you're looking for...

I'm in Austin and I have a $1 million policy that also has garage keepers coverage (this will help when you crack out a windshield thats super expensive) I believe I have either a $200 or $250 deductible, and this also covers up to $10K of equipment, etc in my vehicle if it were ever broken into. I paid less than $600 for the whole year with RLI.

You tell me folks, is it worth paying $48 a month to protect you & your business? I know, most of you on here will agree, but there are still a few out there that think they know EVERYTHING and they're so good at what they do, they don't need insurance!

alternatively, some of you have created a disclaimer that specifically states that you're attempting to fix the chip and .02 percent of the time, these damages can crack out and you're (the company) not responsible for this, and you just don't charge the customer for your attempt if it is too severe.

So, contact RLI....if you need my agents info, let me know and ill PM it to you.

I've been in business for over 8 years as a detailing co, in addition to other services and have worked on cars worth a few hundred bucks to a Ferarri FXX race car that cost nearly $2 million, I've never had to use it (knock on wood), but it's nice to have if a situation should ever arise.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

If you guys can get something in writing from your agent regarding insurance paying for a new windshield that breaks while you are performing a repair, I'll start going to church service with my wife every Sunday!
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

Dave M wrote:If you guys can get something in writing from your agent regarding insurance paying for a new windshield that breaks while you are performing a repair, I'll start going to church service with my wife every Sunday!
Dave M....

Are you under the impression or just believe that there are NO COMMERCIAL INSURANCE CO out there that will cover a windshield if it's broken while repairing it?

What do you think the commercial insurance is designed for? I have never had to use it, but a friend that owns another local detailing co has the same insurance co I have and he had to use his insurance, granted it was not on a windshield, but 1 of his employees used a cleaning chemical on lighter carpet in a new corvette and caused severe spotting/discoloring, he paid insurance his deductible and they replaced the $1,500 carpet with no issues.

I won't waste my agents time with requesting a letter, nor will expect someone to go to church, thats something personal, but I could provide you with my agents info and you're more than welcome to give him a call and get confirmation yourself that this type of insurance exists, and at a fair rate.

Now, keep in mind, it doesn't take a math genius to figure out that if you crack out a windshield that costs $300 to replace, and your ins deductible is $250, you probably just want to pay for it, but for a windshield that cost $1,000, this is where the ins comes into good use.

I however, have a disclaimer that is signed prior to the repair, and I also explain to the customer, and with this it relieves me of any fault with crack outs, if/when they happen, which I've had just a few since doing repairs.

ATX
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Eco Steam,
I'd go with your second choice...I believe (from what I've been told through ins. agents) that Com. Ins. will NOT cover the cost of replacing a windshield that is broken beyond repair, while you are performing that repair. Yes, I do know what commercial liability insurance is...do you?
Not sure about your friend with the carpet issue but I only researched the windshield repair business. I was being sarcastic about the written letter and going to church, but seriously, call your agent and clarify this gray area. That's what they are there for!
A lot of techs also have a misconception about garage keepers insurance. My advise is to clarify these issues with your agents before you attempt to put in a claim for something that you are not covered for.
I carry a $300k Commercial Liability policy and a $35k Garage Keepers policy. That's all that is required of all the networks and all my fleet accounts. Of course, you can get much higher amounts if that's what feels more comfortable.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

I just use State Farm, have a 500,000 $ policy with garage keepers that runs me 35 a month. Then again my vehicles and house is through them so maybe I get a decent discount.
Eco Steam

Post by Eco Steam »

Dave M....

Each year I renew my policy, I ALWAYS clarify with my agent what is covered and what is not, this keeps me well informed and not in the dark should an issue ever arise.

I have specifically told my agent what I do & don't do, and he has reassured me time and time again that I'm covered for replacement, amongst other issues/damage.

Now, for those that have JUST liability with NO garage keepers, you're correct, the vehicle you're working on, whether it be the windshield, the interior, the tires, the engine, etc....you're more than likely NOT covered.

Garage keepers is designed to protect you if any damage should happen to the vehicle(s) you're working on.

If a (fully insured) auto glass company goes out to replace a clients windshield, and during the process, they cause a few grand in damage to a vehicle, do you think for a minute that this company is paying out of pocket to repair the damage?

Commercial Liability Insurance is there to cover a business, you pay for it for a reason, why would anyone just throw away a few hundred to a few thousand annually if it served no purpose?

What makes more sense??