cracking a windshield

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Igotskills
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Igotskills »

I was wondering how you folks handle a situation when the repair runs too far. Meaning they have to replace the windshield. Is it the tech's responsibilty to pay for a windshield assuming they don't have a 0 deductible? If not how do you handle this? I would want the customer to know there is a possibility of it happening before I even started, but on the other hand I would not want to scare them away either. I haven't had this happen yet, but I am sure it will someday; just the law of average.
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

Skills
:cry:This is a good question. I have had this happen to me and I dont care to be in a situation like that,,but this does happen so what I have done is

1. dont charge the customer and fix it if you can

2. Explain that your are reparing damaged glass and some times this does happen.

3. Offer to pay for half of the cost of a new glass.

4 Give your bussiness card and offer a free repair on the new glass

5 Some up the customer,the glass,the car and figure the best for both
Bullseye WSR
Igotskills

Post by Igotskills »

Thanks guys :D
desertstars

Post by desertstars »

johnnyone. Allow me to disagree without disparaging your answer or being unappreciative of your input.

Blind Squirrel said it all and said it in a manner that should almost be used as a frozen prototype at the head of this forum.

That windshield was ALREADY broke BEFORE we arrived.

We are trying to SAVE it but it is already BROKE!

If, in the process it is broken further, s*** happens.

The key is to cover yourself BEFORE you attempt the repair and to make damned sure the customer not only understands that fact but signs and agrees to that fact.

Assuming the worst scenario, decide after that point whether you are dealing with some moron who spilled hot coffee into his lap and has a blood-sucking liability ambulance-chasing mouth-piece attached to his butt like a remora and decide your next move.

Personally speaking, I've only encountered a couple of that type in 17 years.

My response was to feel sorry for them and to instruct them to aim a kiss toward my posterior and sue me.

I haven't been sued. Haven't been kissed in that area either.

No way will I ever condone the actions of deadbeats or con artists who agree and later decide to disagree.
glassdoctor

osha

Post by glassdoctor »

It may be too late to help you in this case. But I'll add my 1/50th of a buck for future reference, or to help if this customer is still expecting you to "fix" their car that they broke..

You can get in a pretty bad position if the wrong windshield cracks out. It's possible that the one job you didn't stop and explain the risks and limits of repair, etc.... that's the one that will bust. And, that's the one who may be unreasonable or thinks you owe them for breaking their precious car. :evil: We can talk about prevention, but it's too late for that if it happens to you. There is no magic spell to make a pain in the butt spoiled brat customer all happy and content. Some people still behave like a 3 year old.

But most people are pretty cool and just want to know you were careful and did the best that was possible.

If someone demands you give them a new windshield, do your best to explain that some breaks are not repairable and some will crack despite the most careful efforts to repair. It's a fact, and there is no way to predict which one will be in that less than 1% that can't be repaired.

If you can't make them understand, you might suggest they talk to the big glass shops in town and ask if any rock chips are "unrepairable". We all know that these shops call almost any chip "unrepairable".

So when your customer hears it from the big shop down the street maybe in will sink into their 8 inch cinder block skull that you didn't damage their little ride. They did when they hit the rock.

You can also exlpain that you make a living from repairing and not replacing so it's only logical that you do everything humanly possible to make every repair a success, and you are not happy either because you just lost $$ too. The shop down the street could not make the same claim.

Don't pay for a windshield unless a judge tells you to.

And don't let it discourage you. It happens. You just hope that when it does, you get a level headed customer to deal with.

that's at least 1/100 of a buck's worth for now
Pat

What Is The Perfect Repair Kit............

Post by Pat »

Question? If you are repairing the windshield for customer through their insurance company and it cracks. Can they steel claiming it on their insurance?
paintlessplus

Post by paintlessplus »

Although I'm new to the WSR business, I have had previous experience with the " pit bull" types in the bodyshop business. It is common practice for insurance companies to replace a part on a vehicle with a " LKQ " or ( Like Kind and Quality ) used replacement part. While my customers were often unhappy to learn of this, the ins.co. adjusters would advise them that this met the obligation of restoring their car to its pre-accident condition as per contract. So.... If after having my customer sign a disclaimer and he becomes beligerant.... Perhaps I'll offer him a free used LKQ windshield replacement, (complete with a complementary star, bullseye or combo). That should stop the deadbeat chiselers right in their tracks. :oops: By the way, you probably won't want to do work for these guys again, and, even if you give them a free new windshield.... THEY WILL PROBABLY STILL BAD-MOUTH YOU !!! Bob @ Paintless Plus
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Blind Squirrel made a good point... I should not reccomend going to court, as you don't want that. I should have said don't just hand over a check because they ask for it.

The fact is you are NOT resposible for a crack out, unless you screw up somehow and it really is your fault. If you think you made a mistake that contributed to the chip cracking out, then it may be a good time to pay up.

If you think they will actually take you to court, then it's time to take care of it. If they are just going to pout about it and complain to the neighbors, then so be it. Odds are they will still pout and complain even if you buy them a new w/s.

BS also made some good suggestions about how to get a new w/s. It might only cost you $150 or less to get a shop to do it. And if you buy them new glass, it's only fair to charge them the repair fee. So you are only about $90 in the hole then, or you could just offer to split the cost of new. $75

If it's a high dollar windshield, you might come out better if you offer to pay their deductible, or pay half... and you work out a deal with a glass shop to bill their insurance. Most glass shops will pay part of the deductible themselves to get the job... $50 or $100. So that might be "your" half, and the customer pays the other half. You end up paying $0, and they don't know it. These are just possibilities.

I also see that your original question was theoretical, so again the best thing is to get their approval before you start. I don't think it has to be in writing, although obviously having it in writing is best. It may keep them from doing something stupid like taking you to court, but there are no guarantees.

If you explain that the existing crack has an extremely rare chance of spreading during repair, but that you will do everything possible to prevent it, they will tell you to go ahead. That clears you of resposibility should it happen. They knew the risk and authorized you to attempt repair.

What I do personally if I see a high-risk repair, is briefly explain to the customer why I consider it "severe" damage, such as near the edge, long leg or open crack, etc... Then explain that it's possible it could spread during the repair, but that's a good reason to attmept a repair, because it's definitely going to crack out if they don't get it repaired.

That should make them want to get it repaired even more, not scare them away. When you get it repaired successfully, then they are really happy.
paintlessplus

Post by paintlessplus »

EXCELLANT POST GLASSDOCTOR !!!! I guess you can tell that I have been " beat-up " a couple of times, Its always better to work something out with your customer. Thanks for your insight. Bob
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

paintless, I like your LKQ point. I never thought of that, but it does put the situation in perspective. Maybe tell them you will check the local salvage supply house for a LKQ glass. :shock:

I don't think this has been mentioned, but what you do may depend upon who the customer is. If they have any connection with your fleet or dealer accounts, bite the bullet and take care of them. "The customer is always right" would apply here. If you see they are upset, and you immediately offer to "make it right" for them without arguing or trying to get off the hook, you might win them over and turn them into your ally and not the enemy.

If it's just joe schmo that looked you up in the phone book... I wouldn't be so generous. The customer doesn't "deserve" a new w/s just because he thinks he does.

Maybe we should get a used w/s if possible or get a new one and put a nice fresh break in it just like the one they had. :wink: