Soft interface pad

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Soft interface pad

Post by Old Blue 66 »

This forum has been dormant for a couple of months (at least the HLR section has) so I pose a question to wake this place up.

Recently we've been flying though interface pads. We buy the 3M 05771 and they seem to be falling apart prematurely. Don't know why. I bought a couple of the Meguires pads too and I didn't like the hook and loop. They didn't seem to hold the disc right. Before I but pads from a different company, I'd like some feedback as to what others are using.

Suggestions?
Paul Weinstein
blemon56

Re: Soft interface pad

Post by blemon56 »

I bought 3M 05271 from drillspot.com for about $6 each. I also didn't like the loop on the back but it stuck well to the Groits. The 3M pad that came with my kit lasted for 4 jobs. The foam came apart along the outer edge. Have only done 2 jobs with the new ones... will keep you posted...
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Found these guys............

The Sanding Glove and Pro Source Center
Last edited by Kgobin on February 7th, 2013, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed
Paul Weinstein
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

blemon56 wrote:I bought 3M 05271 from drillspot.com for about $6 each. I also didn't like the loop on the back but it stuck well to the Groits. The 3M pad that came with my kit lasted for 4 jobs. The foam came apart along the outer edge. Have only done 2 jobs with the new ones... will keep you posted...
My tech goes through them like water. Im pretty sure its the product and maybe the air holes. I really need to find a better one.
Paul Weinstein
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

I think a lot of the problem is how you apply pressure during the sand process. If you keep the pad as
flat as possible on the lens surface, it will last much longer. Edge pressure will cause the pad to come apart prematurely.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning ! I noticed this back in Jul & Aug. I was no longer getting a long life with the interface pad. It was seperating along the edges. I thought I was pressing too hard. I normally could get 15 -20 jobs per pad prior to changing out. Using the new sanding method for the 4.1 Infiniti, we use more sanding disc. However I noticed when I changed the Interface pad prior to starting my last HLR , it was already seperating along the edge and swollen by the end of the restoration. They are expensive for something so simple and small.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

candyman wrote:Good morning ! I noticed this back in Jul & Aug. I was no longer getting a long life with the interface pad. It was seperating along the edges. I thought I was pressing too hard. I normally could get 15 -20 jobs per pad prior to changing out. Using the new sanding method for the 4.1 Infiniti, we use more sanding disc. However I noticed when I changed the Interface pad prior to starting my last HLR , it was already seperating along the edge and swollen by the end of the restoration. They are expensive for something so simple and small.
Sure they are! I pay $5.69 a pad from a local supplier.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi all,

My local foam supplier can easily make them - hook and loop one side, fluff the other.

Then you choose the density of the foam. He will even press them out for me by the dozen etc. from a sheet he glues up.

Find a foam supplier in your area, take a sample. Done.

Or...

Don't use them. I don't.

See my post in this thread:

Code: Select all

http://www.windshield-repair-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7030
For the record, T4K is spot on - The "pinching" under pressure when the tool is held on an angle is the cause of the product to fail. (It's the odd shaped lights that ruin them quickly).

Cheers,

Pommy!
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

pommy wrote: For the record, T4K is spot on - The "pinching" under pressure when the tool is held on an angle is the cause of the product to fail. (It's the odd shaped lights that ruin them quickly).

Cheers,

Pommy!
Thanks and it's good to see ya back!! :D
pommy

Post by pommy »

Thanks mate ;)

I hope this year is a good one for you!

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.