New curing light.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: New curing light.

Post by Nomad »

Have been using the light with rcr123 batteries for a while now. They do get the light hot. I don't know if this shortens the life of the light or not. I bought eight of these with a charger. They seem to cure very very quickly. I have used this mostly in the evenings when the sun is low or when I am in a carport or garage. The batteries don't seem to last a long time but that may be because of the high power output and my tendency of turning it on and busying myself cleaning the other side of the W/S or preping another chip. I know that it is staying on for a longer time than necessary. I got the 900 mah batteries. This is a great piece of equipment that eliminates carrying a lot of more bulky stuff around.

The holder/stand is OK, but sometimes the suction cup is very hard to release. Even sliding a razor blade under it doesn't do the trick. Anyone have a solution to get it to break loose easily every time?
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

I don't like the suction device at all! I use th scorpion and I love it!
screenman

Post by screenman »

I would use a plastic tool for releasing the suction cup, personally I am yet to have that problem. I suppose if I did I would use one of my plastic business cards making sure I slid it in where the small tab is on the cup.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I'll try that and a couple other things I've thought about. I'll let you know how it works.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

Iam not use to having a bridge with a lever suction cup. The Holder I purchased with my new UV light, keeps poping off the windshield. Is there a special method to use this? Am I suppose to wet the rubber? I like the UV light. I was using it on a Silverado Truck. Any solutions would be helpful.
t4k

Post by t4k »

candyman wrote:Iam not use to having a bridge with a lever suction cup. The Holder I purchased with my new UV light, keeps poping off the windshield. Is there a special method to use this? Am I suppose to wet the rubber? I like the UV light. I was using it on a Silverado Truck. Any solutions would be helpful.
I haven't had a problem. Mine holds like a champ and I have to remove with a tool.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I find that it's usually a little grit or maybe a hair stuck on the cup. Or maybe something on the glass itself. Most times I wet mine with some water of maybe spit. This is one job where good spit is a real advantage.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

I was wondering if that rubber had to be wet. It held fine on the first few repairs. But the last 3 it didnt and flipped over with the light. I had it mounted above the break, the same as we do for the bridge. I have sleet & drizzle rain falling at the moment. Have a great weekend.
t4k

Post by t4k »

A little moisture is always a good thing when it comes to suction cups! ;)
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I agree with t4k, "a little" moisture will help most suction cups hold longer however I have not found it necessary for this particular product. The glass and the pad need to be very clean. You also need to make sure you don't place the pad over another rock chip that has damage extending to the surface of the glass. Since it is technically a vacuum cup the vacuum will slowly bleed off and cause the cup to release.

If you have inspected the pad for damage (even a tiny cut or abrasion) and you are careful to follow the advice above, we may need to replace it for you.

I do have some concerns about those of you using a razor blade to slide under the edge of the pad for easier removal. As stated by others a credit card or plastic windshield stick are much better suited for the task should you find a tool necessary. Personally I just put my thumb on one side of the pad and my middle finger on the other side while squeezing and slightly lifting away from the glass, just as I do with Delta Kits flip lever bridges, but that does not work for everyone, especially those with small hands.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.