AGRR Article-- A NEW ITCH TO SCRATCH??

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
the big welshman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

AGRR Article-- A NEW ITCH TO SCRATCH??

Post by the big welshman »

Hi there, I am interested in finding out if SCRATCH removal really WORKS and which equipment do you use?? To me removing is Scratch on a windshield can give you optical illusion?, one of the better kits that did a decent job was the Glass Weld equipment as seen @ a Mobile Show a few years . The problem with Scratch Removal you can spend 1hr removing a scratch and 2hrs cleaning up the MESS :!: :!: :!:
surfacedynamix
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: AGRR Article-- A NEW ITCH TO SCRATCH??

Post by surfacedynamix »

I will give you the best answer you can ask for. I was the president of GlasWeld for over ten years. In that time we developed a system that removed scratches from all types of glass. No system is truly distortion free. The lack of distortion is determined by the depth of the scratch and the skill of the tech. Any system that claims to be distortion free is basing that on a test done with damage caused by 200-300 grit sandpaper and a 1lb ball with 10 passes on the glass. The problem with that is the dimension of the glass does not change. So the optical damage is repaired with out distortion.

The systems that use a compound only are using 98 percent cerium oxide. The rest of the additives are smoke and mirrors. Other systems use a variety of fixed abrasives, sand paper, trizac, Mirka abrasives. The bottom line is that training is the key, understanding that the cost of replacement and time to remove the scratch are the keys. I have been involved in polishing thousands of pieced of auto glass over the years. I addition, millions of dollars in architectural glass. The key to making money in scratch is understanding the market, and getting the right training that includes assessment, estimating, and technical expertise. No magic. Plan on practicing 10-15 hours in your garage, glass on glass, steel wool, sand paper and finally carbide damage.
Feel free to ask any questions, I can also put you in touch with the few that make money adding scratch and water spot removal to their services.

Mike
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

No Mike, you and your former employer did (and still do) a lot for the betterment of this great industry, but GlasWeld did NOT develop that system.
The system you are referring to is IPSGLASS.
GlasWeld just relabelled the product. You know that right?

A PM should have reached you, Mike.
Last edited by Frank EU on November 12th, 2012, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Hi Frank, welcome back we have missed you.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

screenman wrote:Hi Frank, welcome back we have missed you.
Been too busy, Graham.
Back on topic ... not with scratch removal.
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

Hi there Mike, Thank you for your information regarding the above, I found that the Glass Weld system worked very well compared with other systems that I saw @ the Mobile Show , What are water spots is that Acid Rain what prices do these systems go for, can I pick up a used system? :roll: :roll:
windowboy

Post by windowboy »

I,am working with the glasweld system is works very well. If you don,t give a lot of water it,s not very messy. With the scratches that are deep i,am using also the glasweld system but with the clearing.Normally i,am working with it 3 or 4 days a week and collect enough money for my bills :D