Need some advice!

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Huck
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Need some advice!

Post by Huck »

Hey guys! I've been lurking on this site for a while now and I've learned a lot of stuff, so first of all I want to say thanks for all your posts and tips and tricks!

I need some advice, in two different areas.
1) I've done about 6 sets of headlights now, some belonging to me and a few to customers. I recently realized that I wasn't getting all the way through the OEM UV clear coat, and that's what was making my work look bad. I wasn't able to polish the lenses on two sets of cars to a perfect shine, there were still swirls and haze in the lens. I could offset this to a degree by using Meguiare's Scratch Removal and Polish stuff, but it didn't come out perfect. Anyway, the problem is that now that I realize I need to get through the clear coat, I'm having a problem with the sanding pad overheating and actually creating little burn marks on the lens. I haven't done this to a customer's car, it's happened on my practice lens but I'm not sure how to keep it from happening. How do I keep the sanding pad from getting too hot? I've read that a lot of you guys feel wetsanding is unnecessary, but that's the only thing I can think of to not burn up the lenses. Any advice?

2) What brand of DA or polisher would you guys recommend to me? As of now I'm using a Makita cordless drill (http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXFD01CW-L ... less+drill) with a backup battery, and it seems to be doing ok. I would like to use something corded however so that I don't have to worry about batteries dying and whatnot. Is the one sold here by Deltakits a good one, or should I use something more like the one from Griots (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/pro ... y=ourPicks) or something similar? I saw a post where someone was using a cordless ACdelco polisher which looked perfect, but I wasn't sure what the runtime on that would be.

Also, just for info sake, my setup consists of this: The cordless Makita, drill attachment and backing plate, sanding 500, 800, 1500, wipe down with a microfiber cloth, 3000, wipe down, then polish with Meguiare's PlastX, wipe down, and finally apply Infiniti 4.1 with a folded blue shop towel. Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I should change? I appreciate your advice!

-Huck
Old Blue 66

Re: Need some advice!

Post by Old Blue 66 »

As a newbee, follow the suggested Delta scenario. 320,500,800,1200,1500,3000 until you are comfortable. Many cars will only require 500 to take off the OEM clear. I finish with a compound after he 3000 for just 30 seconds each side and it REALLY makes a difference in the finished shine of the lens. I use the GT Glass compound. I think its the best and a one pound jar lasts well over a hundred cars.

The reason you are getting all the heat is that your drill is on the same spot trying to get the clear off. Im assuming the drill is running a at higher RMP as well. Order the Griot's random orbital sander and your heat issue will go away. Run it on 5 for resurfacing and when you get to the 3000 disc, turn it up to 6. Using a drill takes quite a bit of time to figure out as how to use it properly.

And forget all that Meguiare's crap. Its good for an amateur but you'll never get a professional finish using it.
Paul Weinstein
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

I agree, go DA on your sander.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

May not be a great thing to post here but Griot's now sells the sander on Amazon for $89 with free shipping. And order two. One as a backup. Put the Makita away.

http://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage-107 ... s+garage+3

Keep using the Infinity. Its simply the best on the market for a great finish.
Paul Weinstein
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

The Griot's Garage tool is the same one Delta Kits sells and we'll match the Amazon price.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Huck

Post by Huck »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Brent, you or your sales guys will probably be hearing from me soon, I need to restock on some sanding discs anyway :D

Are there any other little tricks or tips you guys have up your sleeve to make the whole process smoother? Anything that you do that most other people don't do?
t4k

Post by t4k »

If you read the entire headlight restoration section of this forum, you will acquire all the tricks and tips you will need to perform professional HL restorations. Good luck and happy reading!!
Huck

Post by Huck »

I've been reading up in my spare time, so I'll continue that :) Thanks!
Murph

Post by Murph »

I will have to keep in mind that you guys will price match the Griot's.
newheadlites

Post by newheadlites »

Old Blue, where can we get the GT Glass Compound that you recommend..??