pit resins?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
gregjobobba
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

pit resins?

Post by gregjobobba »

Pit resins..... who uses them? for every chip? or just large pits?
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: pit resins?

Post by screenman »

Every single chip.
benswindshieldrepair

Post by benswindshieldrepair »

ummm, yeah, every chip bro. Every single chip.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

If there is a pit I use it but often there is no real missing piece just a contact point about the drill bit size. In that case I remove the injector place a tab and finish without adding the thicker filler
screenman

Post by screenman »

So it is your repairs I get to see later with no pitfill in them :D Pit fill has better weathering characteristics than normal resin and takes just a few seconds to add before curing, I cannot see any reason not to use it.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I've looked at numerous products and every supplier / trainer recommend Pit resin as part of the repair. Where were you trained?
chipfix

Post by chipfix »

screenman wrote:So it is your repairs I get to see later with no pit ill in them :D Pit fill has better weathering characteristics than normal resin and takes just a few seconds to add before curing, I cannot see any reason not to use it.
Screenman, can you show me proof that thin resin will fall out of a chip before thick (pit fill resin)? I would love to see the scientific testing results.
I think it maybe the opposite as thin resin seems to be more flexible,though I don't have proof so I will not state it as fact.
Big pits definitely require a thick resin (so it will not run away before it cures)and there may be less shrinkage, but for filling a small speck of glass pit, I doubt there will be a difference.
Oh! that's right,you sell for Delta and Pit fill costs 2x regular resin. :D
screenman

Post by screenman »

I have no scientific tests that I have carried out. However I have over the years carried out many unscientific one's and not using pit fill seems to result in the pit failing quicker than when using it.

Yes I sell Delta over here, that said I was not a distributor for about 20 years prior to that, during that time I built a very busy repair business built on quality.

My posts and replies are not anything other than my own professional opinion.

Notice if you will Chipfix that the original question was about pit fill and not Delta pit fill. Join the gang of many others who think I post only for mine or Delta's benefit where in truth I really hope to help guys improve both them selves and our business.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

My feeling on the pit filler is it is thicker and in many cases needed. If the contact point is big enough for something to fall out bring in the pit if the point is as small as a drill hole with no real indent I dont see the purpose. pull off the injector apply the tab and cure. ;)
screenman

Post by screenman »

I think you only have to feel how pit fill scrapes off compared with how normal resin scrapes to feel the difference.