Insurance billing and Invoices

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
csteffy00
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Insurance billing and Invoices

Post by csteffy00 »

I am planning to get in the WSR business and would like step by step advice on setting up with insurance carriers and what details i should include on a service invoice.

Thank You!
Repair/replace

Re: Insurance billing and Invoices

Post by Repair/replace »

You need to read the forum posts.

Your question is too general and it has been answered a dozen times on other threads. On the invoice is the VIN of the car, year, make, model, price and bill the insurance company directly, or get cash and have the customer, then have the customer get the money reimbursed from the insurance company from your Professional receipt.

If you really want in this business, you need tools. Do you have any tools yet? Get some experience on practice glass, do a job, and the insurance info will naturally happen for you. You will have the motivation to read the hundreds of posts on this forum, instead of asking questions. BTW, welcome to your 4th post.

Ask and questions, on the same thread, instead of starting a new thread every time you have a starter question. Sorry if I sound rude, but really, we like new people.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Here is a basic invoice template showing you what you are required to include. download/file.php?id=179

You are welcome to call Delta Kits for step by step instructions for getting setup with the networks for insurance billing if you have trouble locating it here.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
usmc68

Post by usmc68 »

Unbelievable, repair/replace has been on here a week longer than you and is already giving advice!!! You do need to use the search feature when asking your questions, I'll give him that. If your supplier can't answer your questions, you made a big mistake! Go with Delta! Listen to old guys here, not newbies. Good luck!
jaydelriotx

Post by jaydelriotx »

What requirements must be met in order to bill an insurance company?
csteffy00

Post by csteffy00 »

For now, no equipment. However, I am moving forward detailing a business plan and want to be as thorough as possible. (Look before you leap!)

I would like to be mobile with my business, but need additional input on some of the foreseen challenges such as repairs during inclement weather, common customer complaints and billing issues.

Ill search thru the forums for answers, but additional info., links and thoughts are appreciated!
screenman

Post by screenman »

My advice would be look away from the insured market as it can be expensive to service. But first and most important is that you get top quality training along with top quality tools, that you also practise like mad before going live.
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

csteffy00,
I'm going to assume you are in the USA. I'll agree with all of what Screenman posted accept regarding insurance work. Some of us on this forum do a substantial amount of ins. work and others just a little here and there. Some join the networks and others do not. I not sure what expenses Screenman is referring to, other than some networks charge fees ($2.50-$15.00)for the billing. Some of us utilize the internet for billing (no charge)and allow for electronic deposits. Any insurance referral I receive is easy money in my pocket with no work on my part to obtain a new customer! Also, a customer that simply wants to go through their insurance is not much extra work or expense, if any.
Don't, however, rely just on insurance work. You'll sink quicker than the Titanic.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Dave M, when I say expensive to service I mean in terms of time and other non fixed overheads such as fuel, mileage etc. Where as with non insured such as fleets if selected properly will give you more bangs for your bucks. I cannot remember the last time I did 1 job per visit, on average I do 3 jobs per visit per customer, hopefully this will get my meaning across. I hear of guys driving 20+++ miles for one job at say $60 take out costs and that does not leave a very good hourly rate compared with doing 3 jobs in the same place for a just a small amount of extra time. How many hours per week with tools on the windshield are spent by most guys, not many and that is the only time we are earning. Also I will never arrive at one of my fleet customers and not earn something, unlike retail where we can drive miles to see something unrepairable.

I know for many selling to Joe Public a free repair is far easier than getting fleet customers but it is worth the effort. Take for instance one customer I have been working for now for 24 years $1200 per month every month on average and they take approximately 10 hours per month of my time.

When sold correctly not all fleets buy on price, many want quality of service and product.

Please do not think I am knocking insurance work, I did very well from it 20 years ago but have found the market changed and is still changing and we have to change with it.
csteffy00

Post by csteffy00 »

Thanks for the replies! I know i will have to use both pipelines for customers and that does help with "Joe Public" example.

I was definitely confused to why i would want to give a middle man (TPA) money just to process a payment.

How would i go about processing these claims directly via the web?

@Screenman- I would really like your insights on how to approach selling the service to fleets customers if you're willing to offer the advice.