What's your most effective form of advertising?

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
ministry4u
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What's your most effective form of advertising?

Post by ministry4u »

There are tons of ways to advertise these days. Being relatively new I've tried as much cheap or free advertising as possible. I have walked neighborhoods and gotten jobs by talking to home owners with cars at the road with chips (I don't go up into drive ways), handed out business cards, listed ads on craigslist (which I get a couple calls a week from), sent personalized letters and business cards to car owners who have gotten chips repaired by me (to stay on their mind should they need me again or have a friend who does), and a few other things. I recently (they have not arrived yet) purchased several 18x24 yard signs after listening to somebody tell me how effective they were for their business.
I would imagine tons of people read this forum. There are different levels of skill, and different levels of backgrounds and experience. I am just currious and am throwing it out for comments, do the yard signs work? What has worked best for you, and is there something that you would never use again or waste your time with? ;) :roll:
bill lambeth

Re: What's your most effective form of advertising?

Post by bill lambeth »

You sound like you are hitting a lot of good ways! Keep up the good work it will pay off!
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Radio has done well for me
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Internet web site(s) most effective, customer referrals and Angie's list. Thought about large signage for a long time looking for a good spot with a lot of traffic.
Found one last Friday and bartered for free space below a 4X8 sign for my 4X4 on twelve foot 4X4 posts. Passed the intersection Monday morning on way to first job. Someone had ran stop sign, crossed the intersection into the 4X4s which were broken off and on ground. Such is life. I have placed ads in RV Parks handout maps with out profitable results but left cards at storage places that store motor homes with pretty good results.
Every now and then I stop at a trucking company or close by small company with a few vehicles and offer to do their employees also at my fleet price of $50.00, 15 and 15 rather than $65.00+plus while at the companies location. Not a lot of those but they are extremely loyal. I have a new car dealer from referral that uses me on new car transfers from one location in another town to theirs. Sales manager has had heart attacks about my price. Last week he called me for one of his customers, had let his $35.00 used lot guy do a new unit and messed up so badly they had to put a new windshield in a brand new car (45 miles).
Last edited by Brent Deines on August 7th, 2012, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed promotional URLs
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Don't be mistaken to think that quality of work is directly related to price. There are some "$35 used lot guys" that do excellent work, and likewise some "$65 guys" who screw em pretty bad. Price you charge has nothing to do with how good your work is. Rather, it's about your target market and business plan. Just wanted to clear that up. ;) Carry on....
candyman

Post by candyman »

I agree with glassdoctor on the price and performance. As far as lead generation, I do some of all these things listed except yard signs. Its illegal in my city but I see them . The city doesnt seem to be enforcing the law or selective enforcement.
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

OK friends, sorry for the way I put it and getting off subject. You are right about price doesn't necessarily go with quality. My friendly competitor I call to handle my calls when we are out of town or one I just can't reach in the middle of a F250 4X4 is one of the best in the business and charges less on retail than I do. He also has several mega accounts and naturally charges less to do their work but always top quality let me describe as craftsmanship. Having said that, we all have seen jobs that were not good repairs and customers are very happy when you do a really fine job for them. The guy who charged the sales manager on the particular new windshield should really take Delta's training or find another way to make a living as he gives us all a bad name.
Again please accept my sincere apology for the way I wrote the comment.
ministry4u

Post by ministry4u »

Thank you everyone for all the input. Participation is what makes a great forum. Thanks again!
LoraineC

Post by LoraineC »

It seems to me that your marketing avenues are exclusively print media. While that may be very effective, you can also explore other avenues like online channels and other forms of offline marketing.
ministry4u

Post by ministry4u »

Thank you. I agree, we use twitter and are just finishing up a groupon feature.