What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

The test lens I did was a 2009 Camry. It looked like glass after I was done and much better than it ever did from the factory. I will be able to track this car for the long haul so we'll see. I don't suspect any challenges from it
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

...every couple of years either out of boredom or simply a search for a new silver bullet or better toys to play with. :lol:
Ha Ha! - Seems to be the "thing" that we all do ;)

I can only speak of the lenses I've restored with Infinity of course, but I switched to Infinity in about September last year (I think I was one of the first to publicly use it) and those headlights still look the same.

I know you know your stuff - so tell me if I'm out of line, but are you mixing up "polish" with "compound"?

The compound I use has no polish, silicone, special "beads" - just an abrasive. So it will cut 1500 and leave a 3000ish finish, still enough for the Infinity to bond to.

The compound isn't filling, it's removing fine scratches, unlike polishes.

I'm just trialling another liquid compound that is working as well as the GT, BUT with my 3" orbital! I too am always on the move ;)

Regarding the pressure washer - my personal car has Infinity on it and I wash it every weekend with a pressure washer - I don't give it a second thought - they are glossy, hard and clear still.

I hope you used a polished lens in your testing! - That way you can grab some Infinity, it's a great product with the right prep.

Take it easy all ;)

Pommy

Oh....
...it peeled where it was applied to the factory coating that was not sanded.
I reported that! - It was on a OEM coating that wasn't touched - I ALWAYS run a compound over the whole lens. It was early days that comment and entirely possible that I didn't prep the top of the lens where it happened :( I've done plenty more - no issues.
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Plummy, post more about the new liquid when your testing is complete. I'd love to be able to limit the amount of tools to just one. Again thanks for your help and sharing your experiance.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Will do.

I'll be happy with HLR process when just the 3" sander does it all from start to finish.

I've never been happy with 3000 finish.

Cheers,

Plummy
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning Pommy! I did a restoration on a Ford supper cab wrecker on Tuesday. The lens were bad and the orange side markers/turn signals. After I finished with the 3000 polishing pad I wasnt satisfied. I carry the wax that delta had for the Chem based UV. I polished the lenses and they looked great. I applied the 4.1 infiniti and the out come was WOW. The Shop owner was very satisfied. I dont know how long it will last but they really looked good. Prior to using the 4.1 I used prep spray and a green pad to clean the lens again. Time will tell if it will hold up in this heat and humidity. 93 today with rain. feels like a steam bath.
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi Candy,
I carry the wax that delta had for the Chem based UV.
Delta have a wax? Never heard of it? Is it actually a wax? Not sure about the Infinity adhering to wax - very doubtful in fact.

Despite cleaning it with prep and scuffing with a green pad - if the lens was still clear before the Infinity, I'd be cautious.

Waxes and polishes just fill scratches instead of removing them like a compound does. While they will look great "filled" there is no strong bond with the wax in the crack and it will lift in time I imagine :(

The problem at hand is this...

3000 pads will not clear the lens, not crystal clear anyway. So, applying Infinity after a 3000 pad finish will just seal in the grey/fog/milk look that is stopping it being crystal clear. It does bring back a better gloss when applied, but it's not deep and when looked at from an angle, it's almost matt and soaked in.

I personally think the only solutions in this scenario is to 1, add another coat or 2, use an oil based/thicker UV coating.

Fact - Infinity works better if the surface is less porous. Amazingly, Infinity only needs a bit of "keyed" surface to adhere to, very, very little in fact.

...Enter the compound! It works a treat and the Infinity bonds to it perfectly. It makes a 1500 or 3000 finish (if you like them) transform into crystal clear lens if used correctly.

My problem is that I don't want to use two tools and the compound will absolutely not work with an orbital tool of any kind (tried many). I've also tried many, many products that "claim" to work with orbitals, but they just don't.

So I'm stuck with getting perfect results - but the process is too drawn out and tiresome.

My goal is to use the 3" orbital, the sanding discs etc. and then quickly swap the disc for a foam pad and polish them with the same tool and finally apply the Infinity to a clear lens.

I'm working every evening on this and weekends too. I've spent literally $$$'s on various polishes, compounds, chemicals, foam pads, drills, polishers, sanders and then $$$'s more on damaged headlights to test on!

I won't quit.

People say HLR isn't rocket science, which I agree - but my standards keep me striving for a better way to deliver perfect results consistently, speed up the process and cut the cost to the technician.

Onwards and upwards guys!

Pommy
candyman

Post by candyman »

Raerly do I need to use the polish. I did sand with 320, 500, 800, 1200, 1500 and I used the 3000 pad. I just wasnt satisfied with the lens after I polished it with the 3000. It was a old truck and the lens were very faded and cloudy. When I first started usuing the 2coat UV, polishing it with a wax prior to the coating was recommended. Then the coats started peeling on some vehicles but not all. Thats when the foam type 3000 polishing pad was recommended and we were told not to use the wax. I got a very high shine on the lenses using the wax, but I used the prep spray and green pad to pull some of the wax back off the lens without affecting the look. Like I said in the earlier post, I will wait and see what happens. I understand about your compound and using a drill. I will let you know what happens. I get great results the majority of the time following Deltas recommended sanding process for Infiniti 4.1 and the customers are very satisfied and so am I. Its that once and a while lens that I stirve to make perfect. The owner of the wrecker is a friend so Iam not too concerned if it should peel. What time is it in your part of the world. Its about 5:55am 8-15-2012 Wed. you have a good week. candyman
pommy

Post by pommy »

8pm wednesday!

;)
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

are you mixing up "polish" with "compound"?

The compound I use has no polish, silicone, special "beads" - just an abrasive. So it will cut 1500 and leave a 3000ish finish, still enough for the Infinity to bond to.

The compound isn't filling, it's removing fine scratches, unlike polishes.

I'm just trialling another liquid compound that is working as well as the GT, BUT with my 3" orbital! I too am always on the move ;)
Yeah, I just mean "polish" in a generic sense, not referring to anything with fillers, silicones, etc. Some brands have both compounds and polishes that are free of that crap. But in the context of HLR, "compound" is a better more accurate term here since the final step is an applied coating, not just a polish/wax/protectant and walk away.

I would be amazed to see the 3" orbital do the job of a rotary. :shock: My initial thought is that if it works that well with the orbital.... how much faster/easier it would be with a drill. In the HLR process, ultimate results is number one, but speed and ease is a close second. :lol:
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Delta Kits has never recommended a "wax" prior to applying one of our coatings. We did at one time recommend a polish that does not contain silicone but found that Coat2Protect adhered better to surfaces that were not highly polished and that polish did little to improve the cosmetic appearance of the completed restoration.

While Pommy and others have discovered that Infinity 4.1 has superior adhesion properties even on a highly polished surface, and that using a polishing compound can "sometimes" improve the cosmetic appearance of the completed restoration, Delta Kits still does not recommend polishing prior to applying Infinity. Just as with paint or any other type of coating, a slightly porous or rough surface will improve adhesion.

Cosmetics are very important but even more important to us is how well the restoration holds up over an extended period of time and most of our tech support calls come from technicians who fail to follow our recommended procedures. Let me reiterate, Delta Kits has never recommended waxes, polishes or compounds containing silicone, etc.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.