What would you get if you had $100 too spend at Home Depot?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Shurte
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What would you get if you had $100 too spend at Home Depot?

Post by Shurte »

Hello gentlemen,

My friend was nice enough to get me $100 gift certificate for home depot to show his support for my new WSR business! (I guess he figures $100 for free windshield repair for life is a good investment!)
So I have purchased my Delta kit! (dual bridge pro kit.) Im wondering what are a few things I would be needing that I can get from Home Depot?

Step ladder? How tall? ect?

Just looking for some ideas from the guys out fighting the fight already?

Just want to extend a huge "thank you" to all the great people that make this forum possible! Without it I would be completely lost! :D

Shurte
DryStar

Re: What would you get if you had $100 too spend at Home Dep

Post by DryStar »

To be honest, don't have a clue to what your asking! Home Depot?
Eco Steam
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Eco Steam »

If all you have is your kit then you're going to need some other supplies.

- Towels to clean the windshield ( microfiber)
- Ultra fine steel wool (use this lightly around the damage to remove any type of rainX products)
- Step ladder, I have several, 2, 3, 4 ft and if you plan to do RVs you'll need a 6' or so!
- Window cleaner
- Razor blades ( you can never have enough of these :-)...)
- I also carry shop towels, these work a little better when you apply the compound to shine the finished repair (I alos use Microfiber)
- Extra pair of safety glasses

That's what I can think of at the moment, but I know there's always gonna be something you wish you had.

ATX
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

Step ladder, tote( for spray, paper towels, uv shields, clipboard & invoices), roll of black electrical tape( do a forum search on this), and denatured alcohol. If you work in a wet climate I recommend grip/ no slide tape to put on ladder steps to prevent slipping.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Get a step stool too. I have a two stepper grey one from cosco I think. A six foot step ladder will handle most jobs, maybe except the extra tall RVs. An eight footer is too heavy to lug around all the time as far as I'm concerned. Most RVers have a ladder anyway. You might consider a all purpose ladder like a wing ladder. They are expensive though and a little too heavy for me to deal with if I have to use it a lot. You know, the kind that folds in the middle and the sides slide up and down. If you're young and can handle the weight etc. it might be a good choice.

Get a spray bottle or 2 or 3. I like the ones that you can pump up with air pressure so you don't have to pull the trigger thing all the time. They hold about a quart and a half or so and are generally in the garden section. Get a bottle of Dawn dish washing liquid and put a few drops in the sprayer and fill with water for a real good windshield wash spray. Get a GOOD squeegee. An etorie or and unger. A foot long blade is about right. Also a couple of those sponges covered in nylon net for cleaning bugs and stuff off the glass. A good squeegee will save a ton of time washing windshields after you are done with a repair.

In the plumbing section get a little container of silicon plumbers lube. Use this to lube O rings and things. Maybe three bucks or so. Great stuff, waterproof, but don't lube the glass with it as it is very difficult to remove.

Other stuff:
A tube of Curell hand lotion for lubing suction cups. Works great and doesn't dry out very fast.

Harbor freight has a very nice aluminum one step step stool. About $30 but will probably last forever. If I have chips on both sides of a WS I will lots of times use two step stools, one on either side so I don't have to drag one from side to side.

A few little plastic holders for razor blades, they may have them in the paint department or I've seen them at Wal-Mart. Not necessary but a little better than a bare blade, at least to me.
jhickman1

Post by jhickman1 »

Nomad, I use the plastic handle for ravor blades too and love it! Using the bare blade would wear your hand out but the blade holder made a BIG difference!
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Exactly. This is my experience too.
Shurte

Post by Shurte »

Exactly what I was wanting to know! Thanks!

Another question, Clarity Glass you mentioned getting denatured alcohol. I purchased Isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean my kit (Delta). Is this fine or an I going to damage my kit?
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

Shurte, that's a question for delta, I've always used denatured with my delta kit.
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Denatured alcohol is safe to use for the cleaning of all plastic, aluminum, stainless steel, nickel plated, and anodized windshield repair injectors. Use only denatured alcohol to clean Delta Kits injectors.

Denatured alcohol is also safe to use to clean all your Delta Kits windshield repair equipment, including lights, bridge bases, injector seals, and of course injectors, but it is not recommended to be used on labels, logos, and other printed products.

Denatured alcohol is also a better choice than pure ethanol because it is considerably less expensive, and a better choice than rubbing alcohol, which contains about 30% water, and does not dry as quickly as denatured alcohol.

Denatured alcohol is basically ethanol with one or more additional chemicals added to it to render in unfit for human consumption. While those chemicals vary, the typical denatured alcohol that you find at your local hardware and paint stores has methyl alcohol (methanol) added.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.