WSR in South Carolina? Worth it?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
PatriotSC
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

WSR in South Carolina? Worth it?

Post by PatriotSC »

Hello all! First things first, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Matt, and I am currently an active duty Marine trying to start an auto glass business for when I get out. I was a four year veteran of Safelite Auto Glass before joining the Marine Corps 10 long years ago. Now with a family, I want to get out, and I loved doing auto glass. SO, I am starting out doing WSR at first and as funds come in, branch out into full replacements.

Now, my question to you all is this. I know there is a lot of controversy going on right now in the glass industry with South Carolina. Is it worth it to open a WSR business in South Carolina? Just about everyone I talk to says "my insurance company will replace the whole thing for free anyway". Now, granted this is only true if they have full coverage insurance. In my current area there are very few auto glass businesses and only one who does mobile service. This is why I see it as an oportunity to start a repair business and slowly roll into full replacement.

Could someone please lead me in the right direction as to if I should continue to pursue this venture?

-Matt Kinsey-
Patriot Auto Glass
jhickman1

Re: WSR in South Carolina? Worth it?

Post by jhickman1 »

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. Realistically, anywhere people drive cars cn be a good place to do WSR. I thought when I started my business that insurance Billing would be the majority of it bug it turns out that its not at all. For some guys it is and for some it aint. I know alot of people that have full coverage but I have run into alot that have a $500 deductible for glass work just so they could save a couple dollars a month on their premium. Anyway good luck to you. Also where are you located. I am originally from the Charleston area, but live near Fayetteville, NC now.
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
PatriotSC

Re: WSR in South Carolina? Worth it?

Post by PatriotSC »

J.

Thanks for the confidence boost! I am looking forward to getting started and opening a new door. I am in Bluffton, just outside Hilton Head Island. The reason I am worried is because South Carolina drivers are covered for all glass services. Is it a major pain getting set up with each insurance provider and then sending them invoices and lastly recieving payments? Thanks again!

Matt
-Patriot Auto Glass-