Just got Steered!

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Big E
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Just got Steered!

Post by Big E »

I lined up a chip repair for tomorrow with a client and thought all was well. My client decided to call his insurance company awhile later to see if the repair would be covered and they said yes. My client told them who he had contacted to do the work and when and they told him that he had to use their company.
He said he had already scheduled an appointment and wanted me to do the work for him, but was once again told that he couldn't use my service and had to use their's. My client called and apoligized and felt really bad. I tried to tell him that it was his choice, but he said he was done arguing with his insurance company. I can't blame him for that. I will mention that I am a preferred vendor with this network and I am at a loss for this behavior. I guess some times you just have to suck it up.
DryStar

Re: Just got Steered!

Post by DryStar »

Big E wrote:I lined up a chip repair for tomorrow with a client and thought all was well. My client decided to call his insurance company awhile later to see if the repair would be covered and they said yes. My client told them who he had contacted to do the work and when and they told him that he had to use their company.
He said he had already scheduled an appointment and wanted me to do the work for him, but was once again told that he couldn't use my service and had to use their's. My client called and apoligized and felt really bad. I tried to tell him that it was his choice, but he said he was done arguing with his insurance company. I can't blame him for that. I will mention that I am a preferred vendor with this network and I am at a loss for this behavior. I guess some times you just have to suck it up.
Unfortunately, this happens with glass owned provider TPA dominance within our industry. In the future, don't call in the claim until your at the job with customer. That will resolve many issues.
Vikingfann

Post by Vikingfann »

I tell my insurance customers to wait until I arrive so we can call it in to their insurance together (I realize it was probably a cash appointment). In this case I would ask him to cancel the appointment (which I'm sure you did) and then once again call it in together. Customer service by this insurance company is really customer disservice. If allowed by this forum, I'd like to know which insurance it was.

Jere Ellis
Attack-A-Crack Windshield Repair
Lake Elsinore, SoCal.
Big E

Post by Big E »

Yes it was a cash job and I always point out that if they want to use insurance that it is a simple call that we make when I arrive. In this case the customer was flustered and felt bad about what happened, but was in no mood to further his misery. Sometimes the best thing you can do for customer service is not to poke your customer with a stick at this point. My customer already felt bad and apoligized and although I tried to reason with him he was in no mood and I didn't want to be the last person to leave a bad taste in his mouth. The TPA was the 800 lb gorilla.
Auto Glass Rescue

Post by Auto Glass Rescue »

Big E,
I'm sorry for the loss and I know it's only a matter of time before this happens to me, but can we use this incident as a case study and learn from it? What else can be done to keep this from happening to others in the future? Or is there really no way to avoid it?