Insurance Agents/ Marketing strategies

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ReviveAutoGlass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Insurance Agents/ Marketing strategies

Post by ReviveAutoGlass »

Hello all,
First I just want to say how great this form is...this is my first post but I have read many other topics and am astonished with all the info and great advise and direction you all provide. I currently just started in early Nov. and live in Utah. I have been doing this for about a year but I started out knocking doors and tenting on the street. Now that winter is here things have changed as far as those approaches go. I am in the need of changing all my insurance (home and auto) and am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or expertise in finding a good Insurance co. that the agents are encouraged to refer repairs. I figure if I change my plan and go with them that may be an incentive to refer over business.

I am also planning on going business to business and leaving behind cards and what not. Does anyone have any sort of great opening scripts or strategies that they have found in doing this so that business's dont become annoyed. I am also open to any other winter marketing ideas and would love to talk more if anyone has things to share.

Thanks,
Cole F.
Revive Auto Glass
ReviveAutoGlass

Re: Insurance Agents/ Marketing strategies

One more thing...I use to market Title Insurance and what I used to do was take realtors and Lenders to play golf, eat lunch, attend sports events and so forth, I had a limit that I had to abide by the Insurance Dept, however Im not under their rules and laws now. Is it possible for me to take that approach again wine and dine Insurance agents so that when a client calls in and asks about wsr that they suggest me. Any comments or thoughts...

Thanks

Cole
candyman

Post by candyman »

I dont think it matters who your agent is, unless they are the only insurance company in your area. The best approach would be to introduce yourself and leave a few business cards. I have several insurance agencies in my city. I sent them a letter of introduction and visited. I found that the majority of the independent agencies are covered by a third party , such as Safelight and Harmon Solutions etc... I get some referals from both. I get WSR jobs from used auto lots. Chamber of Commerce and detail shops. I Dont wine & dine. I do take pizza's by at times, if I get a few referals. I also pay detail shops $5 for each ref they send me. My WSR is not where I want it to be. Mostly thats my fault. I still work a full time job and own a Bookkeeping and Tax service that my wife manages. I plan to retire for the second time and do WSR & HLR full time. I hired someone last year when things were picking up, but he decided to do it own his own after I trained him and he saw the money I was making. Lesson learned. Dont depend on insurance companies for all your work. You have to build your business. Some on here do well with fleets, while others work street tents. I have a few small fleets but they still get some of the WS repaired on the road at truck stops that offer WSR. Face to face is still a good method. Stop at medical facilities, office complexs,and if they allow it, set up as a safety program at your area High schools. Have a nice day and welcome to the forum.
ghost rider
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ghost rider »

ReviveAutoGlass wrote:One more thing...I use to market Title Insurance and what I used to do was take realtors and Lenders to play golf, eat lunch, attend sports events and so forth, I had a limit that I had to abide by the Insurance Dept, however Im not under their rules and laws now. Is it possible for me to take that approach again wine and dine Insurance agents so that when a client calls in and asks about wsr that they suggest me. Any comments or thoughts...

Thanks

Cole

Most insurance companies have a strict "no gifts to agents" policy, but I'm sure it still happens. Most of my ins. work comes from agent referrals, but I don't get them by "wining and dining". Just show the agent that you do the best repairs in your area and are going to take extra good care of his customer so he won't have to take complaint calls about poor quality work or somebody not showing up for an appt. That means a lot more to them than some free goodies.
You will find some agents hide behind the state laws about not making the customer go where he doesn't want to for repairs. When a customer calls, they will say they "can't" tell them where to go and tell them to call the toll-free on their ins. card so they don't have to bother taking care of their own customer. Then the network gets the call and the job goes to whatever glass company owns that network. I politely remind the agents that they are allowed to suggest repair facilities, they just can't make the customer go somewhere he doesn't want to go. You will need to find agents that understand this and actually want to take care of their customers.

Good luck
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Most insurance companies have a strict "no gifts to agents" policy, but I'm sure it still happens.
It happens all the time.
ReviveAutoGlass

Thanks Candyman, Frank and Ghost rider...I was thinking that individual gifts per referral to an agent were a no go, thanks for the confirmation. From the marketing that I had done in the past I actually created many long term friendships by getting to know them by being in front of them for an hour or so once a month...get to know their likes, dislikes, and family so I thought I would ask if anyone as dove into that approach. I appreciate knowing that I can give a friendly little reminder that an agent can recommend as long as its not forced. Ideally I to want referrals more from quality of work and no complaints rather then "bribing" any day.

Good luck to you all in your areas.

Cole
SuperGlassDave

Post by SuperGlassDave »

About a dozen years ago, when the networks first appeared and got solid insurance contracts, we were basically cut off from marketing to agents. Their rap was, "Our hands are tied, we have to send everyone to the toll free number".
Well, after a dozen years of having to deal with irate policy holders, with no method to help them when a problem arose, many agents are becoming open minded to hearing from us and referring repair to customers that they suspect might get bait-n-switched into replacement.
If you haven't visited any recently, give it a try. Agents are usually pretty courteous regardless of their position on the networks.