Dollars per windshield repair?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Dollars per windshield repair?

Post by screenman »

Good post with some extremely good points. I worked out some time ago what I like to earn, then I worked out the best way to do that, for me it is about negotiating the highest price my customer is comfortable with, much the same as you have done. I do test my customers from time to time with an increase, which again I am sure you do. I targeted my customer base on those who owned vehicles with high cost replacement, this allowed me to set higher repair prices, I tend to let the other guys have the $100 replacement customers.
clearquest
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by clearquest »

I don't set my pricing at a realistic level to boost my ego. I set it at a reasonable level based on fair market value, the cost of doing business, etc. The cost of living continues to rise, year after year. If you don't take that into consideration, you are missing the boat. Some of you guys make it sound as if you are operating a charity based on saving your customer as much money as you can, rather than operating a business that makes you as much money as possible. I give my customers a fair business deal while trying to make the most I can. Is that greedy on my part? This is a business not a charity and as a businessman my goal is to make as much money as I can, while providing my customers with a valuable service and a quality product,
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

clearquest wrote:I don't set my pricing at a realistic level to boost my ego. I set it at a reasonable level based on fair market value, the cost of doing business, etc. The cost of living continues to rise, year after year. If you don't take that into consideration, you are missing the boat. Some of you guys make it sound as if you are operating a charity based on saving your customer as much money as you can, rather than operating a business that makes you as much money as possible. I give my customers a fair business deal while trying to make the most I can. Is that greedy on my part? This is a business not a charity and as a businessman my goal is to make as much money as I can, while providing my customers with a valuable service and a quality product,
How nice, I do agree!
We are in business to make money.

Facts:
>our trade is very easy to access (in my opinion: too easy!),
>there's no certifications needed,
>there's a complete absence of regulations,
>there's overkill in options when it comes to suppliers (most simply want to move boxes, most don't care if you're using their stuff or not),
>the overall investment is pretty low
>too many guys want to be ''independent'' (which is silly -because the ''power'' lies in any form of cooperating with each other),

As a consequence:
>our trade attracts many people,
>newbies often sound as if being in business (any) is nothing but a gamble/are overly expecting good results and good revenues,
(however: many newbies will never be succesfull),
>our market place is poluted with (lowballing) fly-by-night operators

Windshield repair indeed is a great opportunity, I have made very good money myself, but let's face it: this is NOT for everybody -despite some of the above facts.
If you are not even able to:
>sell a service at a proper profitable rate (and therefore need to offer the ''lowest repair price'' in your area),
>act as a real pro,
>offer quality work in a timely manner,
>be dependable,
>look sharp (ie: be representative in any way).....you better stop, leave the trade and find a better fitting job.
Oh, I am using the term ''job'', simply because the following: as much as (too) many newbies would like the idea that being in this businnes is similar to a job.....it is not. Too many newbies just seek ''job-security'', even want/need ''a steady-order-flow'' which is crap (as all experienced guys know), if you are seeking security, please do not consider windshield repair or any other type of business for that matter.

Also: if you are desperate to be making money, you really don't want to be in this trade.
And here is why: it needs too much time before you have even build a proper customer base, be part of a network (and in their top ranking) etc.
Don't purchase that piece of kit and use your money for better things, especially in this day and age.

I don't want to sound too negative here, I am just sharing some information, hoping to bring back some sense in some expectations.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Great post Frank!I totally agree.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Make as much as possible for as little effort as possible. There you go, a lot easier.

Great post Frank.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

All of you who are succesful in this industry did not fall into that success overnight. You had to work hard at it and be dedicated and persistent. It's not a get rich quick job by any means. It takes year and years to build up an established wsr business and a solid customer base. You also live and die in this business based on your reputation and quality of work. It's not for the lazy guy who thinks he can sit around in his underwear eating popcorn and waiting for the phone to ring. It's not for the down on his luck meth addict who thinks he can support his habit by making easy money. It's not for the welfare case guy who thinks he can make money without having to work hard. It takes professionalism and a good knowledge of how to operate a business otherwise it's nothing more than a hobby. The hacks and the low-ballers come and go. Those of us who have been at it for years and have made our businesses a success should be proud. We know what it took to get there.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

All I can say is dont fall for the Braggert dollar per repair stuff in case you dont know People Lie 8-) .
Do 6 35 dollar repairs in the same area or 5 driving all over the place for 50 bucks each first one you prob put in 2 hrs work and worked a couple hoursthe other 8 hrs and spent a bunch of time burning gas which is better? This job can be really easy or really hard its your choice my theory is how much did I clear per hour? and did I make my goal for the day when I hit the goal I go home sometimes you do 15 trucks all in the same yard for 20 bucks each work 2 hours and go home others 6 for 50 each work 5 hours and go home hit your goal who cares how much per chip you averaged? The dollar per repair figure serves no purpose the dollar cleared at the end of the week with the minimum time required is my goal 8-)
screenman

Post by screenman »

Not all large fleet customers want the cheapest price, sure some do the others can have those jobs. It is about seeking out and finding and nurturing the customers you want to deal with. My customers that pay the most are often the one's who have tried the rest, suffered the replacement ratio incresae when not using a quality repair service, these are my customers.
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

What is the braggert dollar per repair stuff? I get my dollars per repair without running all over high heaven and adding extra expenses. Not all of us settle for quiting and going home just because we made enough to be satisified, I get ahead by getting all I can in 6 to 8 hours, It's my job and I treat it as such. Sure I could go home early and take lots of days off but I don't. I like the $$$ too much! LOL
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

clearquest wrote:What is the braggert dollar per repair stuff? I get my dollars per repair without running all over high heaven and adding extra expenses. Not all of us settle for quiting and going home just because we made enough to be satisified, I get ahead by getting all I can in 6 to 8 hours, It's my job and I treat it as such. Sure I could go home early and take lots of days off but I don't. I like the $$$ too much! LOL
Sounds great to me clearquest....you are 100% right, I will send you an application-form (-;