curing the clearcoat in colder temperatures

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
CMG

curing the clearcoat in colder temperatures

Post by CMG »

As the temperature has droppped on the east coast, I'm experiencing some significant slower curing issues in temperatures 45- 50 degrees and lower. I was wondering if anybody have a solution that has worked in this situation. I can supply mobile electricity so, that is no a problem, just wondering what would work best. I have a electric work light that does supply some heat but, still experiencing slow cure. I'm considering an infrared lamp but, wondering if anybody has tried that or what has been successful. I'm looking to dulpicate the results of summertime cure rate.........Crackmaster
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: curing the clearcoat in colder temperatures

Post by t4k »

I turn on the car's lights on bright (after starting the car) and I use a heat gun on LOW. Just be very careful when using a heat gun, they get very hot and could possibly melt the headlight.
cacarglass

Post by cacarglass »

I use a combination of heat gun and UV light. Works well when its cold out, or getting dark.
stetsonxd
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by stetsonxd »

I have used a heat gun but be cautious. Hair dryer would work too and they do not produce as much heat.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

stetsonxd wrote:I have used a heat gun but be cautious. Hair dryer would work too and they do not produce as much heat.
Holly old thread Batman.........

I wouldn't use a heat gun. Too much heat. We use cheap $10 hair driers in the winter and they work fine. Most of our work is on dealer lots so dry time isnt much of an issue anyway. Not all cars light bulbs generate heat.
Paul Weinstein
colsar

Post by colsar »

I have used clear coat in the past and if I need to use it now I would but stay away from it as I don't not need to use that process , if you want to call it the clear coat process/ finishing I use a sealer wax coating applied by heat in all kinds of weather and when I am finished the headlights will last years, and I guarantee them to last you can PM for more about the process I use, i have been restoring headlights for over 10 years.

Coslar
Roman

Post by Roman »

colsar wrote:I have used clear coat in the past and if I need to use it now I would but stay away from it as I don't not need to use that process , if you want to call it the clear coat process/ finishing I use a sealer wax coating applied by heat in all kinds of weather and when I am finished the headlights will last years, and I guarantee them to last you can PM for more about the process I use, i have been restoring headlights for over 10 years.

Coslar
Greetings. I do polishing headlights. I'm interested in everything new that is connected with it. Odnaproblema I live in Europe. In the Republic of Moldova.
Last edited by Kgobin on October 11th, 2013, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed email address