After Using the Pit Resin...Do you Scrape or Slice?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
robert n
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

After Using the Pit Resin...Do you Scrape or Slice?

Post by robert n »

After the Pit Resin has cured...and using new Razor Blades, I have tried both techniques: Scraping (perpendicular to the windshield) and slicing. Delta Kits Training recommends to Scrape. To me, Scraping may "pull/tear" some resin out of the pit. Slicing level with the glass seems more logical if I want it flush with the surface.

What technique are you fellow technicians using and why? Does it depend on what type of pit resin you are using?

Thanks,
Robert
paulrsf

Re: After Using the Pit Resin...Do you Scrape or Slice?

Post by paulrsf »

I have found the slicing and scraping work well together. I slice the outer area, (furthest away from the pit) where the pit resin has spread to, just to avoid scrapping so much and causing a lot of unnecessary flakes and dust, and then I scrape at a perpendicular angle over the pit. Slicing directly over the pit can unintentionally cause the pit resin to come off where scraping allows you to create a smooth surface before applying polish.
Paul R.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Definitely scrape. I would imagine it would be harder to get a smooth finish otherwise.
t4k

Post by t4k »

A slice, properly executed, works well too.
Roo

Post by Roo »

Scraping is the only way to go to provide a flush surface to the glass. If you slice on a big pit you could dig out the resin a little leaving a divot and the wipers will not work as good. Or if you don't slice all the way through the pit on the first attempt it will probably leave a jagged surface.

If you are doing a crack repair you will need to slice perpendicular to the way the crack runs.
paulrsf

Post by paulrsf »

In the Delta Kits training, Brent showed us a "trick" which was to slice the excess resin (furthest away from the pit) off, so that you didn't have to scrape as much causing much more flaking and dust, and then of course, scrape the resin directly over the pit until it is flush with the windshield. Works every time......
Paul R.
t4k

Post by t4k »

I sliced about 12 repairs today with perfect precision. Small pits can be sliced, if you know what you are doing.
kennycrane

Post by kennycrane »

I have to agree with the scraping. before I learn the right way I use to slice, very difficult over the pit area. I slice up close to the pit and then scrape for a smooth finish.
screenman

Post by screenman »

t4k, care to share your secret with us. I have tried slicing, in fact I am experimenting with different things in WSR all the time, inquiring mind and all that stuff, I find it is not as smooth also you tend to get tram lines from the blade running in one direction. The nature of slicing tends to allow the blade to dip slightly as it goes over the softer area of the pit and often leaves a slightly jagged edge around the pit, this can be seen better through a magnifying glass.

I can understand to a degree about slicing off the excess to avoid scrapings being left, but try squirting some glass cleaner on the screen or even a small amount of pit polish on the pit before you scrape, this will keep all your shaving together.

I doubt there is any real time saving to be made between slicing and shaving, maybe a few seconds but this would be lost if you had to redo the pit just once a week.

Perfect = Free from any flaw or defect in condition or quality; faultless for any new guys reading this post I think this is too strong a word to use in WSR. JMHO
t4k

Post by t4k »

There is no secret, just use common sense. If you noticed I said small pits can be sliced. A pit, the size of pin head, can be sliced with ease and I doubt you can see a tram line or a rough edge even with a magnifying glass (which I've never had a customer to use after a repair). If you have a pit the size of a pencil eraser, then you will need to scrape to get the same degree of levelness. This is not brain surgery!