Fleet rate?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
glassdoctor

Re: Non Waiving Insurance Companies

Post by glassdoctor »

Back to the original question.... shermfiddle...

Ulitimately you have to learn what works for you and your area, but $35 or $35/10 is a good normal rate. I know some guys say they get $40 or $45, but feel very fortunate if you get that. That's close to retail $$.

For small fleets, low volume... $30 or $35 is very profitable to me. With larger fleets with several repairs each time you visit or several per week, etc... I think you can easily go lower and not regret it. I know areas in the midwest where truck fleets go for $20 or a bit less. Take it or leave it... it's your choice.

In this case, $20 doesn't seem like much, but if you know each week you can show up and do several repairs at one time... do you want to turn that down? Might well be $100 in your pocket for an hour or so work and a trip across town.

Bottom line is your circumstances determine what you charge. But, don't start low... see if you can get your $35. IMO, if you are not happy working for $XX then don't agree to to it for that. So, either be happy with what you get, or keep looking.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

IMO, something that doesn't get mentioned enough...

The "value" of each account is based on more than the $$ per repair.

Some places are much more hassle to work with than others... they make you waste a lot of time waiting for approval, getting purchase orders, etc.... they are not efficient for you.

Also, some places pick and choose what they approve, or they are not consistent.... one time they do everything, and next time they pass on half the work. It's frustrating, and makes it tough to give them your volume discount.

I love to work for "efficient" accounts, where no time is wasted sitting around waiting... and they just automaticly do the work. These are great accounts. They can be a pleasure to do buisness with, and I would rather have them for $25-30 than a pain in the a$$ account for $35-40.

You guys will find this interesting...

I had a dealer "under new management" that wanted me to cut my price from $30 to $25 as a "price match". This was one of the "wasted time" and "pick and choose" places.

I told him I don't drop prices because somebody else does. But, I explained that I was more concerned about how inefficient things were there, how much time I waste, etc. So, I offered them the option of $30 as usual, or I would do $25 with the agreement that things would change... that I would just do the cars that needed done, without hassles and headaches.

This was actually an improvement for me in this case. I made more money there in less time with less hassle under the new $25 price. I viewed it as an opportunity to turn it into a good account, one that I might even enjoy.... :D But, I wouldn't want THEM to know that now would I?... :wink:

Also, consider how you get paid. If they are prompt and reliable... or pay cash, that's worth something too. Just like retail jobs... some insurance jobs are a pain and some are a pleasure.

$.02
GRT

NO FREE REPAIR LIST

Post by GRT »

Glassdoctor is correct about not starting low and different areas have different prices. You can come down with negotiations but you can't go up.The first thing I ask them is if price is their only determining factor. If They answer yes, I get up and thank them for their time because their are plenty of folks that are cheaper than me. I'm here to give them the best value for their money. I usually dont do car lots or dealers. Too many reasons to list. On fleet accounts I start at a $39/10 with a free demo. This is high for my area. I set the floor at $25/10. But what I really am trying to shoot for is A flat $39 per W/S whether it be 1 chip or 5. They like knowing its one price per W/S. Ask them what might be the average cost for them to replace a W/S. I let them know 39 is alot less expensive than $150 to $250. And I try to close the sale with a white sheet that I leave with them, with all the features and benefits. This is an important part of closing because seeing it in black and white leaves a powerful impresson in their mind. They also know your not a FlyBye. Just a few things I do.

Glassdoc said it best "VALUE".
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Good point about telling them you are not all about price. Sell them on your quality and service. Money does talk, so I think you need to be competitive, but definitely not the bottom of the barrel.

Like GRT, I also like flat rate pricing. They know there are no surprises and we can usually bump up a bit from a single repair price. Say $30 flat instead of $25/10. We always come out ahead because most times there is only one chip anyway.

Oh, I like nice round numbers too like $30 I charge most places. I have one place that instists on $27.50/$40 and one place that is $28. I hate adding oddball #s...
Nelson
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nelson »

GRT is there a way we can look at your sheet you use to close the sale? I am interested in putting better numbers to the repair / replacement dollar amount. I would like to see what you use.

Thanks
WIN-1

Post by WIN-1 »

As I'm new to the windshield business, I can only go by past experience.
A person can buy top quality hay for a fair price- if they want it cheaper, perhaps they won't mind it being previously used.
Ken
shermfiddle

Eye catching business cards

Post by shermfiddle »

Thanks a lot for all the great advice. I'm going to charge $25 plus $10 and maintain my excellent reputation after 7 years in this business. Either way I will do the very best job I know how to do or will not charge for the repair.

"I still love this business"
desertstars

repairs in a bottle

Post by desertstars »

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.
hidesertguy

Re: Fleet rate?

Post by hidesertguy »

I fell the good price for fleet work is whatever you know the customer will pay. Fleets I charge $40 per break. Then sometimes I will give them just a flat rate depending on how many repairs they have for me per week or bi weekly.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Fleet rate?

Post by GlassStarz »

"lowballing" does have its place I have a couple school bus fleets who it end to give a flat price they can replace the glass for about $40 and 10 minutes labor the way to earn thier business is do the whole fleet on the same day at the same location for what you would consider a good days wage will do one this weekend (they always wait until just before schools starts when the busses are inspected) I charge $600 will be there all day and do probably 30-40 chips I use 5 injectors working at the same time and an assistant prepping,scraping and cleaning the glass