Learning

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
stihlcarven
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Learning

Post by stihlcarven »

Yesterday I finished a 15 car sales lot job. I discovered after that I was not to be paid that day but on the 10th when they pay all other venders. Good to know for future car lot work. The thing that hit my funny bone the most though is that all through the day, during the first 12 cars I was drilling every single damage that I came across....every thing...I guess that's how I remember doing it in the past prior to my DELTA kit. Well, I was running out of daylight and needed to get the last 3 cars done as quick as possible so I decided to attempt a few drill-less repairs. I don't know why, but they actually filled better and faster. I also started to work the injector back n forth in quicker fashion manually instead of locking it into pressure cycle or suction cycle...after the initial pressure 5 min./ suction cycles....this worked well also in getting resin completely to the end of combo and star breaks...after I see that the ends of star break/combo cracks are full of resin I let it sit under pressure just a couple more minutes and apply pit filler just below the damage opening and "roll" the cure tab into the resin pushing it towards the hole.....as I understood the way it should be done...no trapped air...no worries...this is meant for other new-ish techs and techs who have newly changed systems...I don't know if it will help anyone but I have gotten several useful tips from here and will try to give back what lil I know as I learn it....
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Learning

Post by Brent Deines »

I almost never drill. One exception is at the end of long cracks in which case i drill and tap with the slide hammer to create a mini-bulls eye. Once filled with resin the bulls eye serves as a termination point for the crack.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
smaples

Re: Learning (NEED URGENT HELP)

Post by smaples »

Okay,

I am totally new to windshield repair. I have an older kit and tried repairs on my car yesterday. Please forgive the totally naive list of questions I have.

Can someone explain the pressure and suction cycles to me. I have an older Delta kit with spring loaded injectors. May seem totally stupid but I need step by step instructions as my kit did not come with any instructions.

I drilled holes and could not get resin to fill the cracks in a combo break. Had a stream of resin going down the windshield. Totally frustrated. Might well place kit ebay.

Example: Correct me if I am wrong please.

1. Do I need to drill, if so what type, and size of burrs would you suggest.
2. How do I know if a seal is bad.
3. Please explain the following to me if I do not state it correctly:

A. Place bridge over cleaned hole.
B. Place about 5 drops of resin in the injector.
C. Pull up on the spring loaded portion of the injector and set it into place.
D. Screw spring loaded piston into the injector.

Again, any help would be appreciated. I want to understand the pressure and suction cycles. This can't be rocket science; however I realize it does take practice and developed skill.

Thanks,

Steve
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

smaples,

I think it would benefit you to visit the Delta Kits website and view the videos we have online. You can also purchase the training DVD or attend one of our training classes (which would be the best option). If nothing else, call into Delta Kits so we can walk you through a repair. With the number of questions you have, it is very difficult to explain clearly in written form. A 15 minute phone call could save a lot of time and effort (and 15% or more on car insurance :)).
David T

Post by David T »

stihlcarven,
Congratulations on the experience that made it possible to shorten the learning curve in doing windshield repairs.
The interesting thing about the Delta Kits equipment is the "intelligence" that is built into the design (which has made it easy for me to make rookie mistakes and still end up with a quality and respectable repair).
On several occasions, I have examined a WS and after running my finger over the damaged area, could feel almost no "opening" in the surface of the glass that would allow resin to be injected below the surface. Despite that initial impression, I followed standard DK repair procedures. I was often amazed that the resin easily flowed into the damaged area even when I didn't think it was possible. After 2 years of making repairs, I keep the batteries charged, but still have not had to use a drill for any repair (so far).
The bottom line? While the DK equipment appears to be "simplistic", there is unseen complexity hidden underneath what initially meets the eye. Trust the integrity of your equipment and more importantly, attend a DK training class (I went to one in Clearwater FL and one in Oregon and while both were free, I would have gladly paid for the lessons learned there).
David
smaples

Post by smaples »

Posted by (Jonathan) "...With the number of questions you have, it is very difficult to explain clearly in written form. A 15 minute phone call could save a lot of time and effort (and 15% or more on car insurance :))."

Jonathan,

Is there a help line to call, or is it the 888-811-3451 number. You sound knowledgeable. How can I contact you at DK?

Thanks,

Steve
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Steve,
Yes. That number will ring into Delta Kits. I sent you an email with my extension and email address if you want to get me directly, however, everyone here is certified and can answer your questions.