Checking the competitor

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Checking the competitor

Post by GlassStarz »

You can teach one to sell but to be a Great salesperson is another story many just cant walk up to someone and talk and being able to lead a customer and judge reactions is even harder. A great Salesperson is a lot like the guy on Lie To Me on TV
D2D

Post by D2D »

GlassStarz, what is your point?
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Someone comented earlier in the thread that anyone can be trained to sell and I disagree you can teach the basics but a true closer is another story. After 20 plus years of being Salesman-Sales Mgr-Sales Trainer etc I can tell you some folks just cant sell thats the point
t4k

Post by t4k »

GlassStarz wrote:Someone comented earlier in the thread that anyone can be trained to sell and I disagree you can teach the basics but a true closer is another story. After 20 plus years of being Salesman-Sales Mgr-Sales Trainer etc I can tell you some folks just cant sell thats the point

Very true....a Closer is a totally different animal in the world of sales.
D2D

Post by D2D »

Thank you GlassStarz for clarifying, there is much to be discussed on this subject. I've attempted to transfer this thread to Business Development where it belongs.
Will Admin please move this thread?
D2D

Post by D2D »

With the exceptions of auto sales, (new and used), door to door vacuum cleaner, magazine, and home improvement sales, "closing" sales and "sales closers" are rapidly on their way out in the real world of business' that want to build and create a positive and lasting place in their communities.

In WSR, we are blessed with the most basic elements of business. That is, the "customer" either has a need for our service or they don't. At least not right now. I proudly and with no shame approach and introduce myself and my business to people. I inform and educate about the cost effective benefits of a preventive maintenance function that saves money.

I honestly don't think I've ever once "sold" anyone a windshield repair.

Not once in my years in WSR have I attempted to "close", persuade, or change their mind when they said no or not interested. My goal when making a contact is to create a "lead" by leaving them with my contact information should they be in need of WSR service at some point in the future.

Now, GlassStarz, when you say "some guys just can't sell". It's because they fail to recognize the opportunity that's just outside their grasp. Also, I think you have to break it down into employees of service companies that are only there to "do the work" and "draw a paycheck".

Observation tells us that in an average 40 hour work week, a wage earner is only going to give their employer about half that much in true productivity. That's the kind that truly help a company to grow, become more profitable and help create raises, better benefits and more jobs.

How many time do you think an "employee", when being handed a pink slip, has ever sat down and thought about, "what can I do, or if it's too late, what could I have done, to help this company create more business?

But, nevermind all that, as I firmly believe that in the service sector, the traditional "employee/employer relationship is functionally obsolete.

I've never forgotten when I was 11 years old, had a lawnmower, and pushed it down the street, and knocked on doors of houses where the grass was getting long and informed and educated whoever answered the door that I could mow and bag their grass for $3. Many said no, but enough said yes for me to go to the movies and open a savings account.

There was a guy on the forum who once said, "asking people for their business made him feel like he was begging".

To end this, let me ask, what does traditional selling have to do with providing a service that enough people are going to say yes to AND help you to make a very good living?
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

While out Cold Calling once you find the person who owns the vehicle A true Salesman can close 50% of the people he talks to and leave them giving his info out to eveyone they can because they like him. Thats a Closer
Some go out and spend 8to12 hours a day making a good living at WR others do the same in a third the time or even less
8-) which do you want to be
D2D

Post by D2D »

GlassStarz, that's great! You should be averaging 10 repairs a day. I base that on my average contact rate of 20 people that you can talk to in a 6 hour day, (2.5) per hour) that have chips and "close" the sale.
Can you share here on the forum what your sales closing strategy is? What do you say in your pitch?
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

Glassstarz
I thought in past posts, most of your work was doing paint chip repair. What happened there? Market dry up?
Just Chippen Away
D2D

Post by D2D »

I never meant to imply that there's anything wrong with being a "closer". In fact, the direction this thread has taken has caused me to do some rethinking on the subject and reevaluate how I sell and close.

It's time to reveal my old screen name was Blind Squirrel. I'm back now with the intention to both teach and learn as much possible about being successful in this business. I have a fair amount of experience in WSR and may, at times, come across as a "know it all" but, I'm here to learn as well.

I must give credit to David Coit for inspiring me to want to share what I've learned. David was always there for us who needed to be shown the way to get going and make a living in WSR. I know there are others here that have been graced with his unselfishness.

If people can't sell, it's mostly because they just don't know how. There are myths and fears that cause us to shy away from something that might be painful or stressful.

What if there's a way to do it that's fun, exciting, and profitable? Where you really look forward to going to work?

The very nature of our offering virtually dictates that a contact to sales ratio of less than 50% is unacceptable.

How do we maximize our productivity and profitability?

What is the structure of a successful sales call?

So, how do we get there?

Time to start a new thread! STAY TUNED!