Adding on HLR

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Dr.Chipster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Adding on HLR

Post by Dr.Chipster »

I'm looking to add on HLR service to my business and wanted to get some expert opinion as to whether or not I really need a power tool to sand the lenses. Dvelup has a mini kit they sell for people wanting to get their feet wet in this business. I have a customer who asked if I do HLR and told me she would wait for me to get the product to refurbish her lenses. I want to do the best possible job for her but I don't think I am ready to invest a 400 bucks for a complete system yet as I don't have anyone else at this time who wants their headlamps refurbished. In your opinion do you think I can do a good job without the power tools? Is sanding by hand going to get the job done?
t4k

Re: Adding on HLR

Post by t4k »

It can be done. Just take your time and alternate direction with each grade of paper (vertical then horizontal with the next grade).

Good luck!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

To me it is like changing tires. If you only change one every few years a lug wrench is all you need, but if you are going to do it professionally you are way better off buying an impact wrench and a tire machine right off the bat. We sell hand kits as well, but very few of them, and in almost every case the customer ends up buying the professional system anyway, so they actually end up paying more.

You can do a pretty good job on "most" headlights by hand sanding, but it takes a lot longer, especially if you happen to get a really bad set of headlights. In my opinion the results are always a little better when you use a stripper, and sometimes a lot better.

Why not buy a professional headlight restoration system on a 30 day trial basis? That way you can try using a power stripper on one side and try hand sanding on the other side. If you find the hand sanding is the way to go you can send the system back for a refund. I don't know how the other companies handle their return policies, but if you were to buy a Delta Kits headlight restoration system your only risk would be the shipping cost, which you would recover from your first job. If you decide to keep the professional system you can recover your cost in 5-10 jobs and still have enough product left to do another 20-25 jobs.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Dr.Chipster: I would say Go! For the good, proper, stuff. Not the lower price, even in those harsh times your return on investment is very good so why bothering with less professional stuff? Also: how much money could have been made in the same time you were thinking, rethinking, doubting and worrying? I know that it sounds easy and relaxed, but you just should do it and go for the best possible. Again: your ROI is excellent. Be good.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

I own the Delta HL kit and I wouldn't do any HL without the metabo, unless the lens had very little fogging on it, and my metabo was broken. I took some of my products to San Deigo a few months ago to polish my sons mustang while I was on vacation. They didn't turn out as well as the ones I do with the metabo or the orange sander. I didn't get that WOW factor that I am customed to. I was highly disappointed, because it was my son's vehicle and I take pride in doing a A1 finished product.
There are times I do hand sand, but thats along the edges of the lens or areas I can't get to with the metabo. It takes longer and a lot of elbow grease to get the lens preped. I did a HL this past Saturday that someone had sanded by hand, then sprayed clear coat or something similar on it. The Vehicle had over spray about 12 inches beyond the HL onto the painted surface of the hood and fender. That customer will need to have his vehicle sanded and repainted to get rid of the ugly sight left by the spray. The HL's were completely fogged with spray ripples. I told the customer I wasn't sure if I could get it sanded off. I used 9 pads total. I knew when I had it smooth it would be ok. Sure enough! As soon as I put the UV coating on I brought the new shine back to his headlights. The customer and the detailer that referred him were amazed at the results. I have two appointments this weekend from that customer for his other vehicle and a nephew. He offered me more money than we had agreed and I turned that down with the condition that he send me some customers. I consider myself new , but I've done enough vehicles now to know what results Iam looking for when I sand. I prefer my metabo, prior to applying the UV coating for professional results. I want the reputation for my area as being "THE Man" for quality restoration of Headlights. Anyone can sand and polish headlights, but it's just not the Delta Kits way of being professional and delivering an end result, that causes others to seek you out, by doing things half way. I understand money issues, but you have options that Brent can help you with. Candyman, Still learning!
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

Thanks for the responses. I've been out of town a few days away from my PC and was itching to get back to get some opinions so thanks again.
gmbusguy

Post by gmbusguy »

Hi I agree with Candyman. It's takes long enough time using using the Metabo. I can't even imagine the long period of time it would take by hand. The clear final step is amazing and is what sets you apart from the no coating or car wax guys.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

Here are some before and after images from a 2000 Dodge Stratus. The cost for a replacement was $307 per headlight and the labor would have been $90 making the total $704. The customer got their headlights restored to a like new condition for under $100 and she was very satisfied. Using the Metabo not only helps produce faster results when compared to sanding by hand, but it also produces a higher quality of restoration, and an evenly sanded lens by removing the human error element.

Image Image

Image Image
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

............by removing the human error element.

Korey: did you mean.....''avoiding the human error element?''
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

nice images by the way, well done.