The delta kit slide hammer???

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
gmbusguy

Re: The delta kit slide hammer???

Post by gmbusguy »

On the previous Post on a stubborn leg you mention give it a pop. Is this done with the injector in place and where do you give it a pop.
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Dave M »

Am I safe to assume that this is not part of the factory training and certification?
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

gmbusguy, usually I'll rotate injector off impact and put in vac cycle. Then I'll "pop" where the resin stopped flowing or where the leg meets the impact area. Use common sense start with a light "pop" and progess to little harder ones if necessary.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Exactly right. Sometimes on a longer leg it is OK to drill just off the end of the crack and pop a bulls eye there. Just like you would on a long crack. It's really hard to tell someone exactly what to do in any particular case because of the great variety of chips, and the even greater variety (it seems) of opinions on how difficult or unusual chips should be approached.

If the crack is close to the edge and running towards it, be extremely careful about tapping a minibull or anything else. Sometimes it might be a good idea if things are looking unstable to set up the chip (cure it) after it's properly repaired and then come back to fill the crack from the other end. I do this once in a while with long cracks that want to run. A lot of this is a judgment call, just don't beat yourself up too much if you judge wrong. We've all screwed up from time to time, but we get better as time goes on.
gmbusguy

Post by gmbusguy »

Thank you guys for the help. That makes it clear.
Dave this was not covered to the best of my knowledge in the training. We learned how to use the slide hammer and how to terminate a crack. That's the great thing about this forum learning tricks from experts like you and others with many years of experience. The training teaches the users the correct methods of using Delta's equipment. I don't think you could cover all the tricks you have up your sleeve in one day. You earned that through trial and error over the many repairs you have done in the field. New techs have to start out using the equipment correctly or you can never get the results you strive for.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

We don't cover it in the training class as we don't find it necessary, but as you said, each technician will develop his or her own technique, which is fine as long as you are getting quality results.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

everest_4 wrote:Not to break anybodies bubble here on how "wonderful this tool is" it would be a better tool if the quality would be better. The tip is always falling out, not enough magnetic strength to hold it there.
We appreciate you guys alerting us of this problem, but since this topic was created none of you have returned a tool to Delta Kits for repair or replacement. It's very difficult to correct a problem if we have no defective units to examine. In fact, I checked our records and it appears we have not had a warranty claim on the slide hammer in 6 months or more. In our training classes we did experience the problem of the tip not staying in a couple of times and found that the steel tip of the slide was missing (a manufacturing oversight), but to the best of my knowledge we have never had the magnet fall out, so I had the guys in the shop do some testing and it in every test it took a tremendous amount of force (far more than should ever be used) on the tip to push the magnet out.

Can any of you that are having problems tell me if the steel tip is still screwed into the end of the brass slide? If not, did you notice this problem right out of the box or after it had been used awhile? If the magnet is missing, did you receive it that way or did it fall out after it was used? Did you re-install it, and if so, what were the results?

Regardless of your answers to these questions the product will be repaired or replaced under warranty so please return them ASAP. As far as we know only a few of the slide hammer tools had this problem, and we have already implemented changes to the manufacturing process to eliminate these issues in the future, but in the mean time it is very important to us that we take care of any problems with tools already sold.

Thanks!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

No problems here!
RandallKT

Post by RandallKT »

I have recently started to come across an increasing number of long cracks. After watching the training video segment on long crack repair, I am curious about the slide hammer and making mini-bullseyes. In the video, the narrator states that making a mini bullseye to repair a long crack is optional.

After reading the posts, it seems that everyone uses this tool for crack repair. This has me concerned about whether my repairs will hold if I don't use this instrument.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Personally I use drill and tap a bullseye with the slide hammer on any crack over 3". Some drill shorter cracks and some longer. In fact, some people don't drill cracks at all. As long as the crack is properly filled it should hold, but I find that it is very easy to underestimate the true end of the crack, especially that my eyes are not as good as they used to be, so drilling and popping a bullseye gives me a little extra security.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.