First customer!!!

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
rscatoe

First customer!!!

Post by rscatoe »

Today I went to a limousine company to restore the headlights on their Lincoln Town Car. The owner was afraid I couldn't do anything with them. I told him I could make them look almost brand new. He was still sceptical, so I asked him to let me refinish one headlight. If he wasn't happy with it, then I would not bill him for it, and he wouldn't be any worse off. After I finished, he was satisfied, so he told me to go ahead with the other side. He came back to check on me while I was mixing the clear coat for the lens. He was pleased before, but when I applied that coating, the lens just seemed to magically turn crystal clear. He couldn't believe it! He was so impressed he had me restore the headlights on their Navigator because they were starting to get hazy too. I thanked him for being my first customer and for giving me the opportunity to earn his business. Both jobs took me about three hours, and I charged him $90. This was only my second day with the kit. The only other headlights I had used it on was my Taurus. That's how easy this kit is to use. I am sure that with time and experience, I will get quicker and not take as long per vehicle. Thanks to Delta for all their help and advice on getting my new business started.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: First customer!!!

Post by Frank EU »

Excellent. Don't worry too much about the time needed, it is better to use a little too much with a good quality than being quick with a poor result.
Your time will come down with more experience. Keep up!
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

Good job! Your best business card is word of mouth, so I am sure he will recommend you the next time he sees someone with discolored headlights. I really like the idea of doing one headlight and if they aren't happy with it then don't bill them, and they won't be any worse off. I think that is a great idea and more technicians ought to try that method when seeking new customers.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Good start!!!! Here's a selling method that's worked well for me. Go to a junkyard and find the worst looking headlights you can find. They could be even broken ones as long as the lens is not broken; the owner won't charge you much for these because he can't sell them to anybody but you. Be careful, but remove just the lens from the whole headlight unit. Put a piece of tape down the center either length ways or from top to bottom. Now do your best restoration job possible on just one side of the lens, leaving the other side just as you found it. After everything is dried, remove the tape. You might even take a magic marker and printing backwards in small letters, write BEFORE and AFTER on the back side of the lens. You should do at least two or three of these from fairly popular cars such as Tauruses, Grand Cherokees(the worst!!), PT cruisers, and neons.
With this sales tool, the potential customer can see first hand the work you can do and does not have to take your word for it. If he seems interested, you can further explain the reasons to have a restoration and your price while he is actually looking at an example of your work.
Good luck.