Bill Customer or Insurance company...?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Bill Customer or Insurance company...?

Post by Dave M »

I don't agree with lying to a customer to sell w/s repair. Maybe I'm reading too much into your posts, but I think you've been Safelite brainwashed!
Brennan29

Post by Brennan29 »

Dave, I think you are definately reading to much into my post. Not sure if you've ever worked as an installer also, but I have. And I do know for a fact that insurance companies would rather pay for cheap glass then the expensive OEM glass, thats just plan commen sence. If this isnt true tell me why (from what I see)companies like Safelite seen to be favored by the insurance companies, because they save them money with cheap glass(along with other things). In that respect I am not lying. Dont get me wrong, I am not sticking up for Safelite, there are good reasons I am not working there anymore, so please do not label me as being Safelite Brainwashed on this forum. My basic point is that insurance companies are buisnesses, and buisnesses love to save money, you cant argue that. I beleive it is part of a repair techs job to let the customer know the benifits of a windshield repair, and some of the disadvantiges of a replacement. and I think that all my post suggested. Pointng of these pro and cons to a customer spreds industry awarness ,and along with better quality repairs there would be allot less need for replacements with Safelite glass or Lexus glass..
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

We're getting off the original post here but, I have worked as an installer for over 20 years and windshield repair for another 15. Why is Safelite favored by insurance companies? Ohhhh, that may open a can off worms! Along with being the cheapest, money and glass wise, isn't Safelite "in bed " with their contracted insurance companies?
I'll agree with the rest of your last post regarding informing the customer of benefits of repair and the bad points of replacement, etc.
I won't tell my customer that insurance companies will only pay for aftermarket glass.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

For kicks, say I wanted to just direct bill insurance companies. What's the process? First do I need to be setup with the networks(lynx, safelite) after all aren't they just a jobber sort of. Meaning they basically send you jobs.
Then say a customer wants a repair and I tell the famous spill of how the repair can be free. Do I call there insurance company, get an approval and let them talk to the customer? After approval what you just fax or mail in invoice? How long does it usually take to get payment? Is that in the form of a check
Or do they batch into your bank account? So seems simple what would be the aggrivating part of this whole direct billing process?
Does the insurance companies have any requirements for you? You know like liabilty insurance? It just seems to be a win win considering going with an claims processor to handle all your billing can be quite costy! And might I add betch'a there making a killing.

One more here please. If the national average for a repair is $55 give or take. By direct billing does this price still stand. I'm sure all of us newbie to the industry wants to hold on to as much revenue as possible. Just fuel for thought. Thanks in advance for all input.
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
pwrepair

Insurance repairs

Post by pwrepair »

Just a question I own a very successful windshield repair business in Michigan which caters mainly to fleet accounts! Due to the economy I am looking to start up and add insurance repairs to the business. The question I have is it hard to get set up with the different insurance networks and are there companies out there that can set up the appropriate paperwork? I see alot of these small windshield repair companies along the road in parking lots repairing windshields is that a great way to promote insurance repairs?

Eric Howard
Precision Windshield Repair
t4k

Re: Insurance repairs

Post by t4k »

Not to sound rude but if you will spend a few minutes and do a search for the very question you just asked, you will find about 20-30 threads that will answer your question. The topic of "How to get set-up with Insurance Companies" has been covered to the point of exhaustion.
the big welshman

Post by the big welshman »

Hey dave from MAINE **** happens regarding getting a debit from a network if the repair breaks???? maybe you should ask the customer to advise the network that if anything happens to the break ie that it cracks out that it is in another place, other than where the repair was fixed and advise the customer that you get a debit. But sometimes you have to bite the bullet and accept it???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :roll:
bullseye3278

Post by bullseye3278 »

How do you bill the insurance company without having the customer call and give your name to the insurance company. I will be located in parking lot and customers will pull up. I want to be able to call insurance company and get authorization to do the repair.
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Bullseye3278,

I would highly suggest you first fill in some more info about yourself in your CPanel.
You may catch HEAT if gone un-done.

Why do you not want the insurance company knowing who you are?
Do you do cash or network?
Are you set up with the networks?
Are you direct billing or using EDI?
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
CV Windshield Repair

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

If your plan is to join the networks to get insurance work I believe that you will be dissapointed because the networks do not refer much work anymore. If you plan is to join the networks so that you can bill the insurance companies, it is not necessary to join them for that reason. The retail customer just needs to show you their insurance card which will have a 800 number that you can call and get a dispacth number. All you have to agree to is their prices.