PDR Tools

Discuss all aspects of paintless dent repair, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Hey Everyone,
I wanted to put a post out on PDR tools, which ones to buy, which ones to watch out for.

When you are thinking about purchasing PDR tools, make sure you watch out for a few things, I personaly wouldn't buy any tools from a company that trains in PDR. Most of the time they will sell their tools at 3 to 4 times the price as if you just purchased a set from a tool only company. For example in my opinion the best two companies out there that sell PDR tools are A-1 Tools, and Dentcraft. Both companies have very high quality tools for about $1000 (Complete Sets). The tools are of fine quality, they don't bend and break like most other companies who don't put a lot of quality in their tools. PDR is one industry where tool quality is very important.

One of the reasons I don't recommend buying tools from most trainning companies is they have poor quality tools made (hence they can only sell tools to their students, experianced techs would never buy them). They also try to sell you tools for about $2,500 dollars, and then they give you a discount on the trainning. Besides if you do stay in the industry more then a few months you are going to have to replace most of these sets for the less expensive but by far higher quality tools offered by other companies. I personaly had to replace my set as soon as I started doing retail work. I personaly found that the tools from my school that I went to where not nearly sharp enough or thin enough to get to a lot of hard to reach spots. Please don't make the mistakes I did, I was foolish enough to belive anything my instructors taught me.

You find out really quick that it's not always what your instructors tell you about how things work in the real world. The real world is a lot different then what you may learn in school in general. Hope that helps guys.
David
Coitster
Glass
kdp

Post by kdp »

David is pretty much right, here!

My only addition to his post is that there are a couple more tool co.s that have great tools:

Inventure.com (verky unique accessories, as well, I like the k-jammer)

Denttips.com (David Weiss) Extremely good tools.

I here pdq is good but I do not own any, as I am not a "tool collector" and most of my tools are at least 4 years old and I don't think pdq was around then.

Wurth has the best glue-pullers on the planet!
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Keith,
I have a question for you. When doing door dings do you ever use a flat bar??? I have 2 of them but never once in my training was I shown how to use one. I would think it would break the glass. I always use a regular door tool or a bent rod when fixing a door ding. Also when you fix door dings do you usualy go through the window opening or do you drill a hole in the door or use a wire opening?? Thanks
David
Coitster
Glass
kdp

Post by kdp »

I don't use flat bars!

They are a reletively "old solution". A few years back the door tools were not as advanced as they are today.

There are many other choices now. IMO: flatbars are awkward. I have one, but it collects dust.

As thick as they are and with such force on the window, I agree that they could be "window breakers", although I have not broken one with a flat bar, nor have I heard of such happennings, too often.

I try to go through the window as much as possible, and drill only when neccessary.
Coitster

Lights and Fog Boards

Post by Coitster »

Thanks for the reply Keith,
Good, I was hoping I didn't have to worry about incorporating the flat bar into my usage. When you are using a door tool down through the window opening do you use a really sharp tool?? I have to admite my tools aren't sharp for doing this stuff. I try to use sharp tools for hail and dents like that, however my door tools just bend and arn't sharp. I am getting some new ones this month I think.
David
Coitster
Glass