looking for a quality resin.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
autoappearance

looking for a quality resin.

Post by autoappearance »

hello. I am just returning to w/sheild repair this year as an add on to my paint touch up service. I purchased another Glassmechanix injector and I am not as Impressed with thier new pro-line products. They are still visible even after curing. this time I have a battery powered curing lamp instead of the 110 lamp. Would there be a difference other than curing time? About Five yrs ago I had a kit with a 110 curing lamp and the repairs where almost impossible to detect. any suggestions on a great resin to use with a Glassmechanix system.
harrellbenjamin

Re: looking for a quality resin.

Post by harrellbenjamin »

I really like the MagnaBond ! I had started using the PremiumBond but found it to thin for my area 90's most of the time it seems LOL.The PremiumBond makes your life easy when its cold out though.Try both as you cant go wrong!! I also find that I really like the 12V plug in curing lamps the best.With the temps I work in I have to open up the cars most of the time anyways.JMHO
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

I like the Magnibond
SGT

Post by SGT »

Just to keep things in perspective... A repair will NEVER fully disapear. Yes some will be very hard to see when completed but others will leave more of a cosmetic blemish. Remember this is a repair process, not a manufacturing process. That being said, I use Magnibond for all repairs with spectacular results. Elite resin at its finest!
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

SGT, Your comment really surprised me. I have had many repairs that my customers absolutely could not find. I would say most of my repairs are very hard to find. I think we need to set expectations a little higher.

I'm not sure if I can mention the name of my prefered resin, _______. Brent can fill in the blank if he wants to. I'll just call it Gene's resin. A very thick resin, takes some patience but gives excellent results. I use mainly because I am not as allergic to this resin.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Ghost, forgive me if you've told me in the past, but I either do not know or do not remember the brand of resin you use. There are only a couple of names that are not allowed on the windshield repair forum, and that is only because the owner's have told me they would prefer not to have their name's or products discussed openly here. My policy is you have to take the good with the bad, but not everyone can accept those terms.

If you want to PM me with the name I will let you know if it is one that I have been asked not to allow to be discussed.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
SGT

Post by SGT »

ghost rider;31601 wrote:SGT, Your comment really surprised me. I have had many repairs that my customers absolutely could not find. I would say most of my repairs are very hard to find. I think we need to set expectations a little higher.

From a customers stand point, yes the repair should in most cases look signifcantly better and quite often repairs are very hard to find. You may even need to point it out to them but there is always a blemish no matter how slight when you look at it. This will vary due to variables beyond our control of course.

From a technicians standpoint, I feel technicians may be doing themselves, our industry and their customers a dis-service if they are setting customers expectations to think it will fully disappear and or that there windshield will be the same as the pre damage condition. This just simply is not possible, at least not with the current technology. I think setting customer expectation and not necessarily at a higher level, just more realistic is critical to a happy and repeat customer and your success.

For clarification, my post was not based on a "hard to find statement" ,in which case I would agree as most our hard to spot from a normal viewing position. It was based on a "still visible statement" by autoappearance.

You are abosolutely right Ghost Rider most are hard to find just not invisible.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
jayjacque

Post by jayjacque »

I agree with ya Brian. It's the same thing I do when performing leather and vinyl seat repairs. If you give the customer a high expectation, but not too high, that this will be a very good "repair" hopefully seen afterward only by him/her but not noticed by others. Then when it comes out even better as it often does, they will be very happy.

But the more damage and the more legs, etc the less expectation. On big ugly ones they will likely say, "anything has to be better than that." Then when it comes out somewhere between good and great they will be extremely happy.

I'm sure there are better techs out there than me getting better results, probably a lot of them. But on the other hand, I just have to wonder about anyone who gives the impression they have 100% invisibility on 100% of their repairs.
screenman

Post by screenman »

Undersell and over deliver, works every time for me.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

My favorite repairs are batwings and bullseyes. They are hard to see when repaired.The customer is always pleased.
I dislike doing combinations where the impact area is just pulverized. They tend to be more visible after they have been repaired.
I guess thats why I dont like them.
I use Premium Bond.