looking for a quality resin.

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
rowdy13

Re: looking for a quality resin.

Post by rowdy13 »

I think the flag has been thrown down, and I think it should be settled at the Las Vegas Windshield competition! (only kidding) I like your attitude Ghost Rider!
GlasWeldTech
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Ghost rider,
I am with Brian on this one. Not calling you out or anything as I feel I am as good of a tech as there is. The ONLY way to make a break DISAPPEAR is to change out the glass. I did a perfect bullseye in my In-Laws vehicle and they cannot find it to this day. I can find it eventually by locating the pit and it was what I call the perfect repair. There is going to be SOME type of scarring left... I use what I think is the very best resins Delta and GlasWeld and have different cps depending on the break. I never tell anyone it will disappear. I undersell and over achieve or deliver. I am not the cheapest tech here in my town either. Also I am not a Magician. Some repairs will leave more scarring STARS vs. Bullseyes. We are offering a service vs. replacing glass and a great seal on factory glass. I always give 110% like Brian and others but don't promise something I can't deliver. You will eventually find SOMEONE whom will not be pleased with even the best repair you can do and you will learn these people just by talking with them shortly.Never use the word DISAPPEAR...
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

I will also add that the THICKER resins produce better results and less scarring but you cannot use a thick resin on a tight star beak with multiple legs. Also using a thin resin on a huge flowered combo will leave telltale signs. There will ALWAYS be some sign or scarring left.
Jeff Higgins

Post by Jeff Higgins »

autoappearance;31588 wrote:hello. I am just returning to w/sheild repair this year as an add on to my paint touch up service. I purchased another Glassmechanix injector and I am not as Impressed with thier new pro-line products. They are still visible even after curing. this time I have a battery powered curing lamp instead of the 110 lamp. Would there be a difference other than curing time? About Five yrs ago I had a kit with a 110 curing lamp and the repairs where almost impossible to detect. any suggestions on a great resin to use with a Glassmechanix system.
Hey Autoappearance!

Sorry to hear that you're unhappy as it stands currently. Obviously, give us a call on Monday and we'd be happy to replace it or refund it, first of all. That being said, I believe there may be ways we can help with the actual process that would allow you to do repairs more like you're accustomed to. There are certainly differences in how a repair is to be approached depending on what type of resin you've used previously.

Regarding lamps, battery powered lamps will virtually always be inferior to a 110 lamp regarding curing time. I don't know if you have one of our AA battery powered lamps, but if you do, those are intended as a back up lamp only, and must be cured at twice the time as a 110 or 12v lamp.

As I said, I don't care how long you've had the resin, how much is left, whatever. If you don't like the Pro-Line, we'll refund or replace it with something else, period. I would like it though if you could give us a call and we could hopefully see if there might be something else causing the problem!

[Phone number removed by moderator] M-F 7am-4pm PST. If you need us after hours, PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number.

Jeff
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

OOPS, should have said this clearer. Totally agree with customer expectations. Thought we should be clear with new guys coming here for help what we expect. Sounds to me like there might be a little room for improvement. Probably didn't say that clear enough either.......
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

Ghost- No problem with asking for help here and I wasn't calling you out as I try to learn something everyday also. Never to old to learn or try something different. Just NEVER use the word DISAPPEAR...When I started out years ago I was down in Mexico working for Corona Beer as a consultant and I read this board and others (back then there were several forums) every night until I got tired and this went on for several months before I posted or asked anything. By the way I do know of at least 3 other forums still up and running.. And NO I do not make the money I used to make when I was working for Corona Beer. I also now have to buy my beer BUT I am home in my own bed nightly, speaking with people whom understand English and can drive correctly. When I grow up I want to be just Like SGT (Brian) He da MAN.....I keep hoping he is sending me free airfare to come visit him on a weekend but this guy stays busy.(He works for an airline).
Jeff Higgins

Post by Jeff Higgins »

Ack! I got moderated! :D

Sorry Brent, wasn't thinking and forgot about the phone number thing. You can find our tech support phone number on our website, which I will NOT link to!

:)
autoappearance

Post by autoappearance »

wow. out of all these post on this topic I posted there is not one answer or suggestion other than from the manufacturer. thanx ladies and gents.
autoappearance

Post by autoappearance »

sorry I am new to this forum and didnt notice the second page of replies. it looks likeI did get a suggested product. thanx glassstarz and SGT and just to clarify on my post. I do understand this is a repair process and the repairs will not be pefect. that being said I have done repairs in the past with an old formula resin that gave me some really steadily imprssive repairs that were very difficult to locate other than the pit filler, even under direct sunlight. this new resin I am using I am dissapointed with. It is filling the repairs great but the clarity as light passes through is very distorted making the repair very visible. very different from my past repairs that were almost invisible. as I mentioned I am now using a battery powered curing lamp that I understand it will take longer to cure. I just couldnt jusify $120 for a 110v lamp. I am attempting to locate a cheaper 6" lamp. that is harder to do than I thought. will a battery powered curing lamp effect clarity or is it the resin. I am also aware of the water issue in damage and I strongly believe that is not the issue.
jayjacque

Post by jayjacque »

autoappearance;31710 wrote:wow. out of all these post on this topic I posted there is not one answer or suggestion other than from the manufacturer. thanx ladies and gents.
Don't get what you mean "not one answer or suggestion other than from the manufacturer"? In this thread I read at least 4 companies recommended either directly or by implication, Delta, Glass Mechanix, Glasweld and one could not be mentioned by name because the company requested that. If you read past threads you'll also see Liquid Resins and Glass Technology (GT) get raves as well as one I can't name which works for me very well curing by natural light.