Dvelup's Sealer Thicken'g

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Dvelup's Sealer Thicken'g

Post by Bois »

I use the Dvelup system and I'm very pleased with it except for one thing. Since I don't do very many jobs, the sealer tends to thicken in the tin can. It's hard to maintain an air-tight seal especially if you use the cap for measuring the stuff. I've talked to Dvelup about this. They're aware of the problem but haven't come up with a solution, yet. Their answer right now is to add paint thinner periodically.

Has anyone out there come up with a trick? I, for one, have stopped using the cap to measure out the sealer. This way the cap remains clean. I'm also experimenting with putting the sealer in small 1oz dark glass bottles (used Premium Resin bottles from DK).
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
gt_repair

Re: Dvelup's Sealer Thicken'g

Post by gt_repair »

I use a differant cap to mesure. One from an old can works.. Know to help seal the can and make it a little easer to open. Wrap Tefflon tape on the can treads. And I do cary a small pliers for the tight cap, Then re wrap with more tefflon.

Don D.
Bois

Post by Bois »

Good suggestions, gt. I've got plenty of teflon tape in my plumbing kit. I carry pliers, too.
Dale...
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

Bois;27723 wrote:Good suggestions, gt. I've got plenty of teflon tape in my plumbing kit. I carry pliers, too.
Now why didn't I think of that??????????????????????????
Real simple and great suggestion!!!!!!!!!!I just went out to my trailer and did my can LOL....
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

And who said you could not teach and old dog new tricks.:icon_twis

Just kidding.

I fix things I break and make thing they don't sell. And 3 large tool chests full of toys, I mean tools....

Don D.
toab

Post by toab »

I would be careful about paint thinner thinning.Make sure it is very mild as some thinners attack the lenses I have found in my research.(makes them craze or go cloudy)
Bois

Post by Bois »

toab,
Any suggestions on paint thinner brands to avoid? Or how to tell if they're too harsh?
Dale...
harrellbenjamin

Bois;27737 wrote:toab,
Any suggestions on paint thinner brands to avoid? Or how to tell if they're too harsh?

Guys not paint thinner,use mineral spirits.That is what you are mixing in your Dvelup sealer.Smell it???Mineral spirits.Thats what they recommend for clean up in their literiture also.The solvent(mineral spirits)is used to thin the top coat.Its not an activator or hardner in any way.Just a way to thin it so you can wipe it smoothly on and a way to help it flow into the polycarbonate .Keep you sealer in the cab of your vehicle and keep it warm.This helps alot.If you are going to thin it use mineral spirits period.Hope this helps.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

I did a job today and it was only 40 deg. out....... What I normaly do is to get the sealer and cat out and place in the sun to start warming it up. But today I now it was not going to get warm so I called DVelup and asked what to do and Sandy did sugjest to add a little Mineral spirits just to thin it out. I also asked if the catalist was all mineral spirits and she say it did have other adivives in it , of course she does not know ether. But I would say there is a hardener in it along with a UV protector. to keep from yellowing just like Resin.
I do not know and do not care, just as long as it works.......

By the way I see the prices just droped about 5 bucks... More profit? or lower my price? ?????????????????????????????? more profit!!!!!

Don D.
harrellbenjamin

gt_repair;27757 wrote:I did a job today and it was only 40 deg. out....... What I normaly do is to get the sealer and cat out and place in the sun to start warming it up. But today I now it was not going to get warm so I called DVelup and asked what to do and Sandy did sugjest to add a little Mineral spirits just to thin it out. I also asked if the catalist was all mineral spirits and she say it did have other adivives in it , of course she does not know ether. But I would say there is a hardener in it along with a UV protector. to keep from yellowing just like Resin.
I do not know and do not care, just as long as it works.......

By the way I see the prices just droped about 5 bucks... More profit? or lower my price? ?????????????????????????????? more profit!!!!!

Don D.
Not a catalyst.Thats why the sealer will dry /set solid if its exposed to air etc.Check out the top of your can.Its hard as a rock.The mineral spirits is just a thinner and is added to the sealer anyway when mfg.to thin it out.The thinner just makes it thin and flow better when you wipe it on.Now have you figured out what the Yellow x really is??? LOL