Dvelup's Sealer Thicken'g

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Dvelup's Sealer Thicken'g

Post by GlassStarz »

MIN WAX wipe on poly works great on the tailights havnt been bold enough to use it on many headlights
t4k

Post by t4k »

harrellbenjamin;30492 wrote:I use the wipe on technique and dont have a problem with lines.Just wipe it fast and dont go back over it as thats when you get the lines.But yes the spray might work too.I just wonder how thick it would spray and is it marine spar(UV)??

Yes they sell Helmsman Spar in rattle cans for $8.00.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

I dont use that .Use the marine spar urethane and mix 1-1 with mineral spirts and fold up 1/2 a blue Scott paper shop towell and dip the edge in your mix and wipe that on.Its basicly the same thing they use in OEM lens as a sealer .
t4k

Post by t4k »

I have the Tim Taylor (Home Improvement) mantality...if a little is good a lot has to be better. I have a hard time getting the sealer on the lens without lines. I either put too much on the lens or I rub it twice, thus creating lines. I'll get better with time. I do like the looks of the lens with the sealer on it...it makes a huge difference.

Thanks Harrellbenjamin for all your help.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

let the can warm up and the lights warm up also with a thin coat and that is all you need.
I use to re-go over my work and it would mess them up more.... A light coat and leave it, then let the sun do the rest or a heat gun on a cool day.

I learned a lot from Ben also..... Thank you again Ben.
harrellbenjamin

t4k;30496 wrote:I have the Tim Taylor (Home Improvement) mantality...if a little is good a lot has to be better. I have a hard time getting the sealer on the lens without lines. I either put too much on the lens or I rub it twice, thus creating lines. I'll get better with time. I do like the looks of the lens with the sealer on it...it makes a huge difference.

Thanks Harrellbenjamin for all your help.
Try wipping a little faster .If it is getting lines you might need to thin just a little more.Especially if you are getting towards the bottom of the can.Hitting it immediately with a heat gun will flatten any lines and works great when its cooler out.
t4k

Post by t4k »

To follow up on the spray can of polyurethane idea.....it does not work as well as the wipe on version:eusa_naug . If you had the time to apply 3-4 coats with time between coats to dry, it may work fine but who has that much time or a customer willing to wait several hours.
harrellbenjamin

t4k;30639 wrote:To follow up on the spray can of polyurethane idea.....it does not work as well as the wipe on version:eusa_naug . If you had the time to apply 3-4 coats with time between coats to dry, it may work fine but who has that much time or a customer willing to wait several hours.
Yep just mix 1-1 wipe and run!$$$$$$$
t4k

Post by t4k »

harrellbenjamin;30643 wrote:Yep just mix 1-1 wipe and run!$$$$$$$

Well said, HB!
Turkey

Post by Turkey »

Headlight Pros. What type brand of Marine Urethane Spar do you use? The Helmsman Spar I have seen at Home Depot has a curing time of I think 2-4 hours. What is the curing time of this formula and how do you speed it up? Will turning on the headlights or a heat gun be just fine? How have the results been compared to the other headlight formula packages? What type of warranty are you giving with this formula? I have tried the wesleys bleach cleaner and Simple green Concentrate. Seems like it works fine for a cleaner. (Simple green instead of Mean Green?) I wasn't able to fine Formula 83 anywhere. Any helpful advice is appreciated. Thanks for informative posts! (I have a lot of questions!!!)