Headlight Restortation II

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
gt_repair

Re: Headlight Restortation II

Post by gt_repair »

Chips1144
Did you ever think of using a power inverter? I use a colmen 800 watt and bought one on ebay for about 60 - 80.00. Just keep your auto running so you do not drain the battery. That works for me in powerless places.

My .02 worth

Don D.
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Hello Don.

Yes Ive considered an inverter, its still on the table, I wish someone like makita or dewalt would make some high powered cordless da's/polishers, Ive seen some off brand stuff but Im sure it wouldnt last or have much grunt.

Bosch has a nice compact lithum drill Im considering.

Thanks for your input. Chips1144
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

I would also like to go cordless. I just hate tripping on the cords laying around. That is way I do most by hand.

O.T.
I have been wiring my shop and I have an outlet every 10 - 12 feet at the support posts. I may even have some drop downs added if that is not enough down the road.
So far so good. I still have straight hair. I was only stupid ones, I never done this before and looking at the pictures in the books does help... Don't waste your time reading.

Cords are more of a pain in the A _ _,

Don D.
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

Use the IPS polishing and their UV protective coating,it works very well and i have used it for years, i have never had a problem.hope that help's

good luck...
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

GTECH
I like the way you keep on pluging away on IPS. But they would not give me the time of day. And the fact if you did get the chance you have to get trained in florada... I can learn just as much from a CD and trial and error.

The guy is so secretive about his system, you would think he was related to Richard Campfield of U _ _ _ _ B _ _ _. When I mentioned I have a ploy hog he clamed up.

Oh Well

Don D.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Nomad;27122 wrote:Just wondering, I have used 303 protectant on tires and it is supposed to be good for a lot of other things. You can find it in RV supply places and I think maybe marine or aviation places. It's supposed to be great stuff but I don't know if it should be used on plastics. I think the company that makes it also makes other UV coating materials.
I keep 303 in my "kit"... I use it as a final step on anything I don't clear coat.

It works fine on headlights. I think it helps protect the lens, but it won't last forever. I suppose if you treated it with 303 like once a month...?

I would like to try the dvelup stuff... to compare to IPS.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nomad »

I have tried to polish lenses with a drill operated buffer but sometimes get it ripped up on those little projections that come out from the front of the headlight. I did one for a friend in Fort Worth and put a coarse sandpaper on it, about 320 or so, and sanded them flat with the lens. What I am wondering is if there is some good reason to leave these on the lens? Is there another way to get around these things except by hand?
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

Use 3" sanding disc and 3" foam polish pads.Check out Norton or 3M products.
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

Nomad,
the little nipples on the headlight are used to align the headlight beam, so your headlight does not point up into the sky at night, and yes there is a way to work around them, by hand and using polishing compound, it may take a little longer to do, but with patience they will come out great, hope this helps.
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

Just food for thought,being we are talking about acrylic/Polycarbonate, I would tend to think that a varnish coating would yellow faster, as apposed to a water based application.I agree with your exploitations on how/why the headlights get damaged the way they do also a headlight is a sealed unit, the heat that the light creates from inside, and the temp outside the headlight has a great deal to the overall appearance / damage of the headlight along with that another preventative measure for a headlight would be to use a product that will clean and protect it,so it will help in the aide to help prevent some of the damage that occurs.the damage that happens to most headlights is that when the adverse conditions happen, the acrylic/Polycarbonate to a degree breaks down, so when there is road grime/dirt .. the headlight absorbs it and when it cools of hardness and stays there, and over time creates the damage that we often see, normally, when you wash/clean your car , normally you wax it, but what about the headlights ?? I myself prior to repairing headlights have done this, overlooking to protect the headlights,so when I am asked by customers how to try and prevent some of the damage that might happen, I have a product that I purchase by the gallon, and put it in small sealed containers and give it to them at N/C,it makes customers more aware how to maintain the headlight, I hope that this also sheds some light to headlight repair .