Some Question

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
glsrepair

Staying focused on the PVB issue

Post by glsrepair »

Hello all,

Just wanted to thank Delta Kits for providing this forum and all the members who contribute with the great ideas.

I have been visiting this forum for over a month and have gotten a pretty good idea of what this business is like. But, I would like to ask some questions.

First, is anyone from Connecticut doing this business and how has it been going? I did a search on the yellow pages and I must admit I did not see one business doing just WSR. I saw a few companies doing windshield replacement along with repair. I walked around some car dealers and saw at least 3-4 cars with windshield damage on every lot. Seems these guys sell these cars with the damage is there really an incentive for these dealers to repair these windshields? What is the selling point used to get them to do it?

Also, a few years back I went to a glass replacement/repair shop to have some WSR done, but the guys there did not seem very interested in repairing the windshield and kept on telling me I needed to replace the windshield, because the chip was in the "line of sight" and there was the risk they would be liable if it did not comeout correctly. I have read most of the comments placed on the board and never read anything reflecting that. So, my question is were these guys just trying to replace the windshield or where they correct? Is this something I would be faced with? I did not see the need to replace the windshield and never did until it cracked.

Finally, it seems most insurance companies do not raise premiums for windshield replacements or drop insurdes because of a claim. how have you veterans overcome this issue if customers mentioned it?

Thanks for your help!

Tony
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Some Question

Post by Delta Kits »

Tony,

Welcome to the forum!

There certainly are technicians in Connecticut that only do windshield repair, but you're right, most of them do not advertise heavily in the phone book. This listing can be a great expense, and although it is useful, most small windshield repair companies choose to spend their advertising dollars elsewhere.

Windshield repair/replacement companies vary wildly. Some say they offer windshield repair, but discourage them when it comes down to it. Some are completely honest and will only replace when they cannot repair. It just depends on the shop.

Some of our customers love to do work for car dealers, others avoid it. My opinion is that on some of the lower priced car lots, they will sell the car with damage still there. Some of the more expensive ones, including new car dealers that sell used as well, will be more likely to have them repaired.

Line of sight (acute area) is certainly a debate. Here is what the NWRA says:
ACUTE AREA: An area approximately 8.5" (21.59 cm.) high by 11" (27.94 cm.) wide directly in front of the driver and beginning just above the steering wheel
In the acute area, repair is recommended if the damage can be completely covered by a 25 cent US coin (.95 inch diameter circle (24.13 mm.), if the finished pit will be less than 3/16 of an inch (4.76 mm.) and there will be minimal cosmetic blemishes remaining in the damaged area after the repair is completed.
Insurance companies may or may not raise premium due to windshield replacements, but they will certainly make you pay your deductible, whereas with windshield repair, insurance companies will waive any deductible.
Delta Kits, Inc.
glsrepair

Insurance address for Ins. Co. below

Post by glsrepair »

Jeff,

Thanks for answering my questions, but one question that came to mind is about the insurance deductable. I had my windshield replaced about two months ago (cracked from not repairing the chips) and I was not required to pay for a deductible, because I pay and additional amount for glass replacement. I know of some others I work with who have had replacements done with no deductable, because it is a claim that goes under the comprehensive providing they have glass coverage. Not sure if this option specific to CT and not other states?

Thanks, Tony
Sudden Impact

Post by Sudden Impact »

Hi Tony, Im in Connecticut. I just recently recieved my kit from Delta about a month ago and have been doing alot of practicing. Im registered with the state and my town and operate my business under the name "Sudden Impact" Im pretty much ready to go. Jeff is right ... there aren't many people advertiseing windshield repair. I guess thats better for us...
mafsu

Re: windshield repair pit resin

Post by mafsu »

Safety is an excellent selling point for windshield repair. Improperly installed windshields can lead to airbag failure, the roof crushing in, in a rollover type accident, the windshield being ejected along with passengers, etc.. You also have the possibility of leaks and the trim coming off. I see improper replacements every day. I still believe even with the current debate over spalling, repair is a much safer choice for the car owner and their family.
CarGlass

where from

Post by CarGlass »

man you opened a can of worms.... to repair in acute vision area is YOUR decision,,,,,, yes a replacemet company will do whatever is comfortable to them to make the most money,,,, i will do both but i am more effecient with replacement cause ive been doing it for over 21 years (repair also),,,, but thats why im here, cause of the professionalism here that will help me learn the fast track of better repair prodedures,,,,,, a good whiney lawyer will getcha if an acute vision area repair is blamed for a car wreck so again that is your choice,,,,, if you need any help with replacement tech advise let me know,, otherwise stay here with these guys and you will learn some good quick repair work..... hope this helps,,,, keith, The CarGlass Co. CarGlass44@hotmail.com
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

I simply let them know it will look only slightly better than it does right now and all I will do in the repair is stop it from moving. If they find the spot acceptable the way it is and just never want it to move ... then I will repair it for them.
mmonk

Post by mmonk »

I hope that's just a way to cover your A@#!! Cause I love it when other guys do "that" quality of work. only makes my job easier.
I 'm not saying you do shotty work....I'm sure it's just a way to CYA. But my repairs are good...and to an untrained eye virtually undetectable. That'swhat customers want to see!