Delta Moderating

This area is to offer suggestions and to provide feedback on the Windshield Repair Forum. Please do not use this area to discuss forum rules or to complain about forum actions in regards to post or users. Posts will be removed that do not follow this
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Long Cracks and Fleets

Post by Coitster »

I would love to tell you Bill but with this forum being monitored as much as it is. Also with people being banned from the forum for opinions that are not in line with Delta Kits I can't say. Delta has a great forum here, and a great wealth of information on it however they don't recommend long crack repair. Its understandable why too. If you want to check out some crack resins you can do a search on the web for Long Crack repair.

One word of warning here. You will find lots of companies advertising long crack repair however 95% of them are worthless. Find someone who has been doing it for a while and has proof that there resin works. :) Good luck.
David
Coitster
Glass
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Coitster;22756 wrote:I would love to tell you Bill but with this forum being monitored as much as it is. Also with people being banned from the forum for opinions that are not in line with Delta Kits I can't say.
Actually David, I take great offense to that. The only companies that are not allowed to be mentioned on this forum are those that have either threatened to sue us if their name is used, or who specifically request that we not have their name used. It's not Delta Kits' choice to exclude them, it's their choice.

Also, people being banned from the forum for opinions not in line with Delta Kits? Back it up. You're not banned are you? There are plenty of techs here who use methods we don't, equipment we don't, it's not a DKI only forum.

As far as MagniBond not working for you for long cracks, great, don't use it. In the hands of a skilled tech, MagniBond won't crack out.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Shepard

Post by Shepard »

Delta- I love your forum and appreciate that you provide it, but I agree with Coitster (probably one of the most trusted mentors on any forum) and am happy to give you a specific example.

Within the past month I replied to a new guy asking about kits. In my long post I mentioned that Poly Lite had the best bridge I had tried and that I use their resins as well and that many needed items could be purchased at a hardware store and that it was better to peice together a kit that to buy one already made.

I looked back in a few days for the post... it was gone... maybe for the first time I searched incorrectly? I do love your site, and maybe I am wrong, Coitster is wrong & all the folks on other forums that complain about the editing on Delta are wrong...

We all love you & your forum... we just want freedom of speech! :eusa_ange

On the other hand, while "sitting on your porch" we should mind our language?
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Delta Kits, Inc.
Delta Kits

Re: Delta Moderating

Post by Delta Kits »

General comment, not directed to anyone in particular.

This forum is moderated fairly strictly, in that there is no spam, family friendly, and members don't bash each other. We're here for windshield repair.

Since that's the goal of this forum, anyone who continues to spam, bash, etc., does eventually get banned. Is it because of the equipment they use? Of course not. Some of our biggest posters use other's equipment. But time and time again, those that get banned go to a different forum whining they were banned because they're not "delta guys."

Look through the posts. Really look. There are so many posts on this forum that advocate things not in the best interest of Delta Kits. They stay. If this forum is so biased, why would they still be there? The truth is, I try my absolute best to keep this forum unbiased, but some people feel like I should let the rules slide for those that use other equipment, so that i'm not "biased."

I treat everyone the same. Read the Terms Of Service. Follow them, you're fine. Break them, you'll be either warned or banned depending on the severity.

If anyone doesn't like that, they're free to leave at any point.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Shepard

Post by Shepard »

:redface: Yes, the post you linked was absolutely the one I posted. That is ...errr...was... the only example I have.

You were right and I was wrong, thanks for pointing it out. :eusa_doh: I appologize.

Shepard Humphries
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

All I can say is the "word on the street" about this site IS what it IS. There MUST be at least an element of truth to it. It has me uncomfortable addressing many questions and issues here. Maybe that's why I don't get too involved anymore and only drop by occasionally to see what's going on.

I don't like being watched by big brother. And that is what it feels like... that there are things you have to tip-toe around.

I don't have examples to cite... my memory doesn't work that way... but I have heard the complaints. I'm sure that some of the complaints are not valid... but surely some are imo. But overall I agree that DK allows people to voice their opinions and support for companies other than DK, and DK puts forth some effort to stay out of it.

People feel pretty strongly about this... it can't ALL be in their heads, can it? I think the reigns could be loosened a little without the forum falling into the pits of humanity.

BTW the "prove it" comments don't help in arging this subject or making DK look good.

But don't worry, DK.... it's nothing like the GlassMech forum. :) WOW... I remember when that thing started, and they would delete everything you said if it wasn't "hurray for GM!!!" Is that forum still up?
Shepard

Post by Shepard »

BTW, Glass Doctor, you are another of my favorite mentors... please keep posting!
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

Jeff,
I don't mean to offend you however its simply a matter of chemistry. In order for a resin to hold up, especialy near the edge you need to have plenty of bonding strenght. For example in the past I have tried, the PremiumBond, Diamond Clear, Opticlear, and several other resins. When the repair is new they look great. After about 3 or 4 months you begin to see spotting that wasn't their before and then after a good freeze you go back and the repair looks like it was never repaired. I have finaly solved this problem. However out of respect for the Delta Forum (who I have contributed greatly mind you) I do not wish to push another product because I personaly feel that would be inapropriate.

This forum is the domain of Delta. I have used the Delta product for 9 years now with no problems, however again chip resin is not designed for long crack repair. Your company yourselves have said this. I have experianced this first hand. The premium bond shrinks to much during the curing prosses. The thicker resins don't shrink hardly at all. Their is nothin wrong with that so please don't take offense, it is not the area Delta has chosen to specialize in.

On a side note: Please don't be upset.
You and I have been friends for a long time. Pretty much since the begining of this forum. I have helped write topics and given advice to new techs on countless occasions. However on this forum is not a free for all. You guys watch this forum ferociesly. As you should, it is a great sales tool for Delta Kits. If I owned a WSR manufacturer company I would do the same. BTW you should monitor the forum. That being said many people have been banned from this forum for one reason or another. I don't want to get into a debate about this because we are going to disagree and it probably won't end on a good note.

If you go on to other forums which I am sure you do, you will note that many people are on those forums that have been banned from the Delta forum. I think you guys have a great tool here for educating new and experiance people. It just seems that when someone disagree's with you guys they tend to get banned. Its kinda like the little secret no one really talks about. Anyway enough about that.

One final note. Jeff there are very few people on this forum that have more experiance on this forum then myself. There are a few I am sure that have more but very few. Please don't make the comment that in the hands of a skilled tech....... I am a very skilled tech and I would like to see someone prove that I am not. I have done long crack repair for years (with the delta btw). You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on what is a proper resin for long crack repair. I do however think that when it comes to fixing chips the Delta resin are second to non. Great optical clearity and a good bonding resin for chips.

I sure had heck don't want this post or thread to damage our relationship. That would bother me like you have no idea.
David
Coitster
Glass
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

This is a perfect example of what bothers me... a guy who has a favorite resin but won't say what it is. This may be out of respect to DK and that is understandable... but it shouldn't matter in light of DK position that this is an open forum.

IMO I don't see the difference between saying a guy uses brand x drill bits, bridges, or resins.

Is it an open forum or not?