Spotting bad repairs...

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Garvey

Spotting bad repairs...

Post by Garvey »

Hey guys, in my area there is some moron that seems to be putting pit filler in a chip, curing it and then leaving it as a done deal. My problem is I can't always spot them and have wasted time wondering why no resin is filling the chip. So here I come to you, does anyone have any tips for spotting these bad repairs. I have tried rubbing my finger over the chip to feel for smoothness but I foresee getting glass splinters in my fingers with this method. I've thought of carrying a probe and running that over the chip??

Thanks guys
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Spotting bad repairs...

Post by Bois »

Hi Garvey. Definitely get a probe!!! If you can't tell if a chip has already been repaired, the previous tech must be doing a good job of hidding the impact point. If the pit has been filled, the pit will feel slightly soft when using the probe. Generally, when using a probe on broken glass, it will feel "scratchy." Another thing I do if in doubt, is to lightly touch the pit hole with a small drill bit (with or without it running). I can usually tell by the texture of the pit.

Dale...
Garvey

Post by Garvey »

Thanks, my pocket is already full with tap downs and a pen but i'm sure I can make room :p
screenman

Post by screenman »

I showed you that one.

If you ask any of the major replacement companies they will tell you that is what most finished repairs look like. There is no replacement comapny in the UK that as far as I know uses a dry out system. Saw at nice bullseye the other day that a*****lass had just done, absolutly full of water its had been raining for 3 days non stop, they told the customer the reason it would not fill was because it was to deep. Now that is a new excuse to me.

If there is moisure in there you sure are not going to fill it properly.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
Garvey

Post by Garvey »

sorry...I forgot, still it's always good to get multiple opinions.
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

Screenman
If the a****lass you mention is the one I am thinking about, they use the Glass Medic Ras head system. If used correctly it has a dry out step as part of the 4 stage process but a tool is only as good as the person using it. I have used this piece of equipment and it can produce a good quality finish. Unfortunately in the UK it is only available to Belron companies at present.
Is a customer always right? - No, but they are always the customer.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I suppose that if you put a drop of resin on the impact point and it doesn't absorb into the chip, you could assume that you need to drill or that the pit had been filled. Pit filler feels soft when you drill into it.
Do you own a magnifying glass? Take a closer look at it.
missingdna

Post by missingdna »

Glass Medic is only available to Belron (obriens) in Australia too.
seems like everything else they like having a strangle hold.
screenman

Post by screenman »

They are often for sale on Ebay. If I am right the system can dry out a mildly moist bullseye but it limitations stop there. It can also not handle long cracks, please correct me if I am wrong. Also the guys around here tell me it has a timer system, Iwould like to know how every chip can be done in the same time as a large multi leg star is sure different to a bullseye.

I have said many times in the past that in good hands a bad kit will do a good job, but a good kit in untrained hands will not.

Glasseye I have definately seen some good repairs done by the people mentioned it was just not in the rainy season. I still consider the repair and replacement do not go together. For one to profit will be at the expense of the other. RSA gave us
Over
screenman

Post by screenman »

Glasseye,
I am confused about the ability of the Glass Medic system to dry out. Nowhere on their site does it mention it dries out moisture, how does it do this. I know it starts with an initial vacuum but this will only remove very slight moisture, as I stated in an earlier post. Please enlighten me as I try and learn as much as possible about our trade and the tools in it.

Many thanks.
Over