HOW DO YOU COMPETE AGAINEST THE $9.95r\'s??

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

BILLING FOR CRACK REPAIR?

Post by Anonymous »

OK I'm on a roll had to ask one more question.
Do any of you have GLASS SHOPS offering repairs for $9.95 or even less at times? If so do you have any ideas on how to compete against the Bait and Switch.. I always tell everyone to be careful you get what you pay for etc. etc. Help me on this I just pull my hair every time I hear the Radio ads.

Sometimes I question can it be legal it is a true bait and switch are they illegal? or I'm I being a whiner LOL....

Let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas?

Again Thanks in advance for any input.
Brian
Anonymous

HOW DO YOU COMPETE AGAINEST THE $9.95r's??

Post by Anonymous »

Brian,

You don't compete with them monetarily. There is plenty of glass in the world to not have too. You might have to focus your efforts on fleet accounts instead of price shopping individuals though. Offer something they don't offer whether it is a another service, better warranty or what ever. To be honest with you I won't get off my lazy rump for that price. Oh and yes you are correct glass replacement shop tell customers that the repair wont hold, looks lousy or it can be repaired and then when they are there tell them it can't be and ofcourse the customer already inconvenienced agrees to get it done. I call it something similar "BAIT AND REPLACE".

Stick to your guns and charge a fair and reasonable price for your services on the individual basis. If they go through there insurance you have a bigger price margin to work with.

Good Luck

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Re: HOW DO YOU COMPETE AGAINEST THE $9.95r's??

Post by Anonymous »

I've been in this business long enough to learn, that there will always be somebody, somewhere that advertises or boosts a cheaper price. You ask, "How do we compete, against these cut-throats?"
The answer is: You can't. For the most part whether it be the public or a car dealership. Our natural instinct is to "go with the bargin". Unfortunately, the bargin as we all know can cost up to three times or more of what it should have.
My advice to all of you that may find yourself hearing from potential customers, that so & so is $10.00 cheaper is:
Address the issue firmly, without an aire of attitude. That you are a professional repair person. You do not expect nor do you want to sell the customer a replacement windshield. Explain that not all repairs may be cosmetically perfect, that any repair that you do will be structurally sound and you will back this with a warranty, for as long as they own the automobile. Explain that you can do this because you feel that you use the best resins on the market and have had the training needed to achieve quality results on every repair that you do. Explain, you don't offer a "low ball" price, nor do you charge excessively for a high line automobile such as a BMW or Mercedes. All windshields deemed repairable by you, are just that. A windshield. And your charges, are equal and just for the farmer, carpenter, clergy, or political figure. You do not discriminate using a wealth level as an issue. Your a professional.
If you utilize this philosiphy yo will not need to compete against the $9,95'ers. Your professionalism will endure, your reputation will be known, and your business will grow. It takes time, but its much better than working for a third of what you are worth. So.. in closing a thought to ponder, "the person charging $9.95 has to do 3 repairs or more to match what you get for one". His down side is, he has 3 times as many repairs subject to fail as you do for the same money. $mile when you drive by his shop....
Anonymous

re: 9.95 competition

Post by Anonymous »

I dont consider anyone offering $9.95 repairs as true competition. People who shop price first get what they pay for. If a person tells me that so-and-so will do the repair for less than what I charge, I allow as how it is their choice, and wish them success with their repair. Market yourself aggressively and consistently, and you will be too busy to care what others are charging. True competition is a good thing, though... it keeps us on our toes, and makes us accountable to do good work and provide good service.
Keep up the good work, and God bless. Grace