headlight restoration tips and advice..

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
all starr

headlight restoration tips and advice..

Post by all starr »

hello everyone,

i have been doing a few headlight restoration jobs and the have turned out well, but i ws hoping they would look better. I am using the bright solutions package, is anyone else using this system? what tricks can you recomend? i have not tried sanding yet, but does it make a big difference on appearence, do you sand everytime or just on certain repairs? is there a better kit to use. I have looked at poly hog kit, it seems nice but you muct cary a batt pack for there 110v drill, can other cordless drills be used with success?

Thanks

Jared Monez
All Star Windshield Repair
mrchip

Re: headlight restoration tips and advice..

Post by mrchip »

i have been doing h/l since coming to nc..i use ips system..i don't believe you can get the film off unless you wetsand..i could be wrong..haven't tried your system..i use a variable speed drill and several grade no of paper..use ips polish and finish with topcoat..the topcoat is what separates good systems from not so good systems..top coat keeps lens looking good for a long time...ips says up to two years..if not they will turn hazy in a short time
all starr

Post by all starr »

is the top(finishing coat) a whipe on, or in a spray form? some say to use plexis to finish off. The system i have is whipe on, and it leaves streaks and just does not look to me as it should? any advice on that? thanks for your reply

Jared
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

it's a wipe on..and h/l looks like new..does yours...is film all off?..check around for other topcoats....
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

For those who wet sand this may help. Doesn't take much water and lasts alot longer than sandpaper.http://www.woodworkersshop.com/Abralon_ ... System.htm
vinyl-4ever
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by vinyl-4ever »

I have been using dvelup, depending on the damage you start out wet sanding from 350 grit to 1000 grit, polish then apply topcoat. Headlights look new again.
all starr

Post by all starr »

vinyl-4ever,
how long have you been using the dvelup kit, what kit do you have? if it the kit with the buffer, do you just bring a batt pack? do you service dealers? what do you charge retail? and what are your average repair times for a set of h/l? sorry for all the questions, but this seems to be a great add on service. Thanks

Jared
vinyl-4ever

Post by vinyl-4ever »

I just recently purchased the kit, obout 1 month ago. I am just about ready to start at dealers. I have done aboout five sets for neighbors and friends for about 40 a shot. It seems to take about 30 minutes per set. I prep both lights then apply sealer. I hope to charge about 90 retail and 50 to dealers. The before and after is very impressive, make sure you take pictures to show future customers. I got the kit with the buffer and sander.
newb1000

Post by newb1000 »

vinyl-4ever

If you don't mind me asking where did you get the kit at?
vinyl-4ever

Post by vinyl-4ever »

I purchased the kit on ebay from dvelup. I got the kit a little cheaper there, everything was new.