long crack in cold weather

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

shiney circle problems

Post by Anonymous »

I had a long crack repaired in cold weather. It worked for a while then it came apart in 2 weeks. When repaired again the technician made a lot of drill marks and the resin never ended up going in the right place. It started as a star crack that got long fast.

Did it really need drilling?
I have purchased resin and curing film. Is suction really neccessary?
Anonymous

long crack in cold weather

Post by Anonymous »

Suzie,

Can't comment on the technicians capabilities. I will say the temp. should not have an affect on a properly repaired chip. Temperature may affect the time required to make a repair though. The resins we use cure or harden under UV light not from a specific temp.

As to your technique specific questions well...some people do things differently than others to get to the same end result. So to vaguely answer your question, yes certain repairs require drilling and others won't. If done properly you should not have a connect the dots effect. All properly repaired chips require at least one pressure and vacuum cycle and some more. The vacuum cycle is used to remove any air from the break to eliminate weak spots that would cause the repair to eventually fail.

Keep in mind that most pre-repaired damaged cannot be re-repaired. Next time find a more qualified technician. Hope this helps.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Re: long crack in cold weather

Post by Anonymous »

I live in a climate that is very cold in the winter. My experience has been that the repair will certainly cure when done in the normal manner. However, it cannot be exposed to sub-freezing temperatures for about two hours after it has been repaired. As concrete can be walked on (carefully) the next day, it doesn't have full strength for 28 days; chip/crack repair is similar in nature.