Using Dremil with polishing pad

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: Training

Post by Anonymous »

I am wondering if anyone uses a polishing pad on their dremil (drill) to polish out the pit area. I was doing a repair today, (my first for a bonified paying client, wooo whooo!) Anyways, I pulled out my paper towel and pit polish and thought "Hey Dremil makes a a felt polishing pad that fits on a mandrel i wonder if that would polish this better, maybe it would disapear even better) so anyways anyone tried this, I am going to next time I am at the hardware store and pick up the little pad.
PEACE!!!!!!!
Noel
Anonymous

Using Dremil with polishing pad

Post by Anonymous »

This is Dustin ...now known as glassdoctor because that is what my global ezboard account is. I had fogotten my password and had just been using my name. Now I'm hiding behind a screen name, go figure.

Yeah there are some that use a dremel to polish the pit. I know I do. Actually, what I use is not a dremel brand, and the polish wheel is not either. I would recomend trying to find a cotton type buffing wheel instead of the little dremel felt one. Mine is a 1.5 inch diameter... I like the way it works. If you have a Northern Tools store near you, check there if you want what I use.
Anonymous

polish wheel

Post by Anonymous »

Some resin manufacturers endorse polishing with a Dremel. I have found, that if using a quality pit filler. I can achieve equal results polishing by hand than that of Dremel polishing. The exception to this may be in very large pits that are deep. One word of caution. Watch the heat build up when using a dremel. High speed polishing results in high heat.. Just use care.
And, not to be confused with the "new" glassdoctor. I am the original "Glassdoc".
Anonymous

re: dremel polishing

Post by Anonymous »

Glassdoc makes a good point... don't get carried away with a buffing wheel or you might "burn" the pit intead of polish it. I have never had this happen, though.

The nice thing about using a dremel is speed. It should only take a second or two to polish a pit. You can also "load" the wheel with polish as it gets used. This lets you just grab the dremel and do several pits, without getting out the pit polish. I only add polish every few uses.

The downside to using a dremel is that it's one more tool and battery, etc to maintain and carry. No biggie for me though... I like gadgets.

That's probably too many words for a simple thought.
Anonymous

"dremel"?

Post by Anonymous »

yes agreed simple thoughts are short, go figure.
Anonymous

Re: "dremel"?

Post by Anonymous »

I used to routinely polish with dremel & buffing pad, but I now I use it only on very large pits. For everything else I use fingernail buffer with fingernail buffing creme ...(Hey..it really works!)... lightweight, cheap, and no batteries needed, and no caustic ingredients to iritate your skin.