what type of resins do you all use

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
dragwurm

Re: what type of resins do you all use

Post by dragwurm »

like yvan i also use tinted resins and to me it seems to relly work in helping to hide the legs in stars, but in stars only. as far as everyone that says it dont work they probly never tried it. and like they say you cant teach a old dog new tricks im allways open in to trying new resins any thing to give me the edge and to keep my custermers coming back
boyd

Post by boyd »

Dragwurm, Tinted resins is one thing but ... matching the resin to the cars interior for the person standing on the outside of the car looking in is another.
I definately am not the last word on w/s repair and don't claim to know it all
but that one was definately comical. I've got it, how about this ...
lets use resin that is the same color as the person's eyes, this way maybe they won't see it at all beings the suns rays reflecting from the east cause the light refraction to bounce towards the west. But .... only in a domestic car traveling west and never over 65 mph.
BOYD
Sneck

Post by Sneck »

I don't use tinted resin, but with that said, I am trying to understand the reasoning behind using tinted resin in only star breaks to help hide the legs.

I think what probably happens in using tinted resin in this manner is any resin that is darker than clear resin is going to cut down on the light being reflected in the star break legs, thus making the overall appearance of the star break less "glaring". It sounds crazy at first, but if this is what actually happens then maybe it does work. But I'm not going to go out and by a bottle of tinted resin just to try it. I will stick with what I know. Clear resin - providing an optically matched repair to the windshield.

Keep on posting... because we are all getting an educaction.

Sneck
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Esprit resin
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

For:

Star breaks i use Premium Bond resin

Bullseyes I use Premium Bond resin

Combo breaks I use Premium Bond resin

Short cracks i use Premium Bond resin

Long cracks I use Premium Bond resin

the thing I like about that is I can mix all my resins in one bottle and carry it with me easily ... I like to have some extra long crack resin on hand though so I carry one extra bottle of that.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Sneck

You are correct, the resins help match the colour of the glass(most WS glass is infact not clear, but slightly tinted). The tint is not like the blue tinted resins, but is only slightly tinted, like the glass itself. And contrary to popular belief the tining is not used to hide the break when looking from the outside(though it is beneficial there as well), the main purpose is to visually reduce it from the inside so it is even less apperant for the occupents. That said the use of tinted resins is in no way mandetory, crucial, or even neccesary, but for me I find it provides me with an edge, the improvenment may be minimal but it is there. I will try to fix a practice crack with the 3 tinted resins and post a pic somewhere and let you all see the results(if the differences are visable on film, if not a vacation to Quebec could be fun this summer(the preceeding statement was sponsored by tourism Quebec 1 800 ....). The reason I only use the tint is star breaks is that in a break containing a bulls-eye the tint may become visable if the break is large enough. If you are happy with what you do now, stick with it, like Brian I too enjoy haveing extra resin.

Merci
Sneck

Post by Sneck »

So Brian, are you saying you like premium bond resin? :)

I used premium bond resin the other day for my first time and I like it much better than the resin I have been using for several years from another supplier. I can safely say that I have been converted. Equipment and Resins are now all Delta!

Sneck
ARG

Post by ARG »

While I at first have questioned the use of tinted resins, I now understand their use in stars.

While I have not tried Delta Kit resins, I have tried many others. I have found that some clear resins seem to blend in (match) better than others. Until a few months ago I had never considered reflection from a repair a problem. Yes, my repairs in certain conditions would have a very slight reflection, but I have never had a complaint about this condition.

The idea behind the tinted resin is not so much to match, but to reduce reflection. Science, years ago, taught me that some colors absorb light while others reflect. Thats why, in the summer, it is recomended that you wear light colored clothing. Black absorbs the most. The idea of tinted resins is to absorb light, thus cut reflection. In using tinted resins, there are compromises. Grey absorbs alot, however in deep pits or drill holes, it leaves a dark spot. Likewise with green, blue and amber the pit is discolored over a more natural (clear) color. While it was green that I used, amber may work better.

In trying some samples, I now have found some reflect more than others. That said, I have tried some green tinted resin to see if it made a difference. I was told the green I had closely matched the natural color of glass. Did it make a difference, yes. Having an old windshield and making several stars and filling them with tinted and nontinted resins, then having several people view this glass from the back side, as if they were inside and facing the sun, I noted the results. Only I knew what product was used and where. Everyone agreed that the clear resin I use beat everything else, including the tinted. However most agreed that the tinted was very close to my brand.

When I look at windshields that have been repaired by others, when given the chance I look at how much they reflect. Today, I was called to make a repair on a windshield. It was a large star on the lower driver's side and it had been repaired. The pit was finished nicely; in looking at the repair with a magnified mirror, you could see only slight traces of areas where the resin had separated from the laminate, and I mean slight, not visible without the mirror. Yet the reflection was blinding. This person will be replacing this windshield due to the reflection.

While this is a great forum and I must say that comments about other products are allowed, I must say I use Delta Glass Repair Products and have for years. These comments are provided as to what I have found and are not to be used to put down any other products or start any fighting. There is always going to be Chevy guys and Ford Guys. Miller lite and Bud light. All I can say is do what I have done, get samples and test.

Finally, not to brag, I've had many customers who have told me I was wrong when I told them that they may see the area repaired. Their comments, I'm looking but I can't find it. To date my repairs pass lease and buy back inspections all the time. I have one account that had tried others and could not get one car through a buy back inspection. We have had 100% pass the inspection since last fall. This fleet manager, along a number of others, have told me, that they can't believe the repairs my company does. These are not comments from new people; this is from people with years of experience. Does reflection count, I now think so.

ARG
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

ARG

As you mentioned I refrain from using tinted resins when the pit is deep or drilled, as yes it will from a tinted blob(for lack of a better term) in the repair. Like you a lot of our work is lease returns(leasing is a big part of the amrket here) and our warrenty on repairs is invoked if the repair does not pass return inspection or gouvernament inspections(for trucks or comercial vehicules) for the life of the vehicule. So far we have had only 2 warrenty call for failed inspections, both customers were reimbursed and continue to use our services. Please share your source of clear resins with others as I am always looking for ways to improve( I am past a perfectionist, my wife sais I have a relentless drive to find improvement where none is required, it's one of my defects, but it has lead to good things so she tolerates it), and always willing to try new things. Experiance is always the best teacher, and you don't know how it works until you try something(I only wish my children had this attitude when it came to new foods when they were younger, it drove me up hte wall when they said they didn't like something with out even tasting it first)

Enjoy
code3wsr

Post by code3wsr »

I use an Amber resin from GlasWeld and have had great results. It is only slightly tinted and matches the windshield well. No "glare" on the still visible star leg skeletons.
Just my 2 cents. :)