leaky replacement

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
terryalex29

leaky replacement

Post by terryalex29 »

What is the easiest way to seal a windshield that is leaking water. It is from the top and it is a small drip but it is leaking.
lsidman

Re: leaky replacement

Post by lsidman »

if the molding lays down over the roof you can run a bead of silicone under the molding (if the molding is plyable enough). If you are unable to do this you may be able to do it from the inside, or as a last resort tape off a strip along the outside of the molding about a 16th of an inch and do the same thing on top of the molding creating a border about a 8th inch along the top of the molding and roof and lay a small bead of silicon in the gap and smooth with your finger. If you do that do it all the way across the windshield( this will be visable so only do I do this as a last resort)

Les
glasssgod

Post by glasssgod »

Don't ever use silicone on a windshield...number one it is useless, number two the chemicals in it will cause the urethane adhesive to break down over time creating a worse problem. Pull the headliner down and see if you can see a pinhole or exactly where the water is coming in and seal it with Essex U418. Advocating silicone use anywhere on automotive glass is simply not very intelligent.
sydfloyd44

Post by sydfloyd44 »

I second and third that!!!

Silicone will not do a thing except for cause you further, larger problems.

Attempting to reseal the windshield without knowing what you are doing can be a MAJOR issue!! Without knowing what the problem is, you may just be delaying a major problem. (not to mention making a mess and probably costing you MORE $$ to fix correctly) If you are lucky and there is simply a break in the urethane, a simple reseal will work. Did you have your windshield replaced? If not, urethane will not just separate and start leaking. You would have found the problem soon after it was replaced. You could have rust, bond failure to the glass or to the body or even the evil R word. (rust...)

What type of vehicle is this? Is there any rust evident on the outside of the moldings on the body? Any rust on the inside? This is quickly becoming the most common cause for leaks. (thanks to some of the poor workmanship in the replacement industry) And, at the same time, one of the most dangerous since your windshield will not do its job in keeping you and your passengers safe in the event of an accident.

Let us know what type of vehicle it is and I can help you to do some more discovery into the problem.
Even better, find yourself a trustworthy (sorry, not one of the national chains...) auto glass shop and see if they can at least look at it and give you an idea as to what is happening.
Either way, let us know..
terryalex29

Post by terryalex29 »

This is on a 1996 Cherolet Suburban and the windshield was just replaced. The first day it rained we noticed the leak. Any help will greatly be appreciated.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

I will fourth those statements!!! I'll even go further to say, if see the slightest trace of silicone used around any windshield seal you'll find me running in the opposite direction;) Silicone's work great on fish tanks, around window house frames and boats but has no place in auto glass.

Like sydfloyd44 mentioned, in order to properly repair a leak you first need to fully understand what's causing it or where it's coming from. A drip from above the mirror doesn't always mean that's where the waters getting in. Could be working it's way in from 20" out from the drip. I use different test to identify where leakage comes from but without further info from you related to this leak, not sure if Glasssgod, sydfloyd44 or my advice can really help you out much.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

96 Chevrolet Suburban? Incapsulated shield with lower centering tabs? Did you cut "V" notches into tabs before setting? Any substancial rust around top pinchwell noticed prior to reninstall? It's pretty common with these to have rust if they've been cut out prior using a cold knife. I'll always cut these from inside so I don't tear up painted surface above outside pinchwell.

This leak needs to be repaired from inside just above headliner. First you'll need to locate leakage. The method I use will require compressed air, a blow nozzel and use of a soapy mixed water solution or aersol glass cleaner. Simply spray entire ouside of top pinchwell while blowing compressed air under the headliner and start looking for bubbles.Thats where you'll find your leak! Like Glasssgod mentioned....a Essex U418 urethane or equivilant should be used for leak repair, it's thinner in viscosity and will fill better. Wouldn't hurt to also pre-clean inside edge glass surface being repaired with glass prep for better bond.

If this doesn't work to solve the problem your going to have to perform another full cut out and replacement. Sorry to say that.... but that's part of glass replacement. Take a small loss to save face;)
glasssgod

Post by glasssgod »

It appears to me that this windshield was installed by somebody else as opposed to the person who posted the message. I would call the glass company and demand they fix it, whatever it takes. If they won't, there are several things you can do to force them to. Our company would never turn our back on any type of problem after an installation, hopefully whomever installed your w/s will take care of you.
RAPID AUTOGLASS

Post by RAPID AUTOGLASS »

Wise Comments From Glassgod.
I Think Along Your Lines.
If The Company Who Installed It Has Any Morals With Company Policys And Customer Satisfaction They Bend Over Backwards To Keep You Happy.
1 Happy Customer Will Tell 5 People
1 Unhappy Customer Will Tell 20 People
My Opinion Only
Cheers Guys