Frustrating day at the office

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Clarity Glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Clarity Glass »

Had a combo break with one leg(1/2 inch long) I couldn't get to fill. After exhausting all options I drilled the tip and popped a perfect bullseye. Attempted to fill, came back couple minutes later expecting to see it filled and it still appeared the same. This is the second time in three weeks this has happened. I'd sure like to prevent this problem from happening again and save myself the embarrassment of succumbing to a less than high quality repair I expect for my customers. Delta resins and injectors.
screenman

Frustrating day at the office

Post by screenman »

Is there any way you are confusing air with moisture, It seems unlikely a leg will not fill when drilled and popped.

Moisture in the leg when viewed from diffrent angles can look like air to the less experienced tech.

Moisture is our biggest enemy in screen repair.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
magicogar

Tent set up

Post by magicogar »

You've tried crack expander, probing the area both inside and out, or heat? But this is only a 1/2" leg. Hmmm...
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Two questions. Did your pit filler pull off the glass while lifting the curing tab, and did your popped bullseye clear while leaving the crack still visable?
Sounds exactly like Rain X or similar contamination. The break is filled properly, but the resin cannot make total contact with the glass, leaving it visable. These repairs will fail and are not your fault. I mark the invoice with "Rain X or similar contamination" and expect to be paid. Of course, give the money back when it fails.
See the recent post about large pits. Many knowledgeable posts about how to treat the surface to allow the resin to adhere, but not a word about the inside surfaces of the break. If it won't adhere to the outside, it won't on the inside, either.
Hope this helps.
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

Just wanted to answer a couple questions posed:
1)living in the northwest, moisture is almost always a concern. I didn't use the moisture evaporator because the outside window temp was 85 degrees and we haven't had rain for a week. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions.
2) Bill, no rain-x apparent on glass but bull did fill leaving the leg still visible.
Thanks all for your suggestions, Steve,
screenman

Post by screenman »

It may not have rained but did the customer wash his car or use the screen washers.

It is very important to learn how to recognise moisture in a chip or crack, this is something I find easy to show when training but find it difficult to put into words.

Do you have a lot of people over there using Rainx it is not something I have found a problem with in the UK.

In a bullseye with leg or starbreak there will always be moisture in the legs long after the main body has dried out.

Keep posting.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

In the conditions you describe I wouldn't expect moisture to still be present. Did you try flexing the leg to get it to fill? A lot of times simple vaccuum and pressure cycles won't fill a leg by themselves the resin needs some coaxing to get it into the leg.
Clarity Glass

Training Class in Houston

Post by Clarity Glass »

Screenman, RainX is everywhere over here. I've personally been asking my customers their experiences positive and negative. Responses are about 50/50 like/dislike. Personally, I think I've found something that lasts longer and doesn't interfere with Delta resins that I'm starting to offer as a service as the rainy months arrive.
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

SMT WEST
Unfriggin believable! This is why people stop posting on these forums! You ask for help, get it, then do what you were going to do anyway! I've been away for a while and am leaving again! Hydrophobic products will hurt you , rather than make you money in the long run!
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Easy Bill... and that's not why people stop posting, come on now.

btw, "surface treatments" like rainX won't hurt chips that occur after the treatment, imo. So, selling some rainx stuff after you do a repair job should not be a conflict of interests.