Frustrating day at the office

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Unless the Rainx was applied after the damage occured how would it affect the repair

If it was applied before surely it could not get into the break and also how does it affect the adhesion when the pit the you fill will have the piece of glass missing that had the Rainx on it.

Moisture the biggest enemy.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
GlassStarz

Delta Kits Training - Las Vegas - FINALIZED

Post by GlassStarz »

I think the explaination might be as simple as warm glass swells shuts the leg? you say the glass was 85 deg that is the area where glass starts to swell often with hot glass I will start the repair and put the air on. The cooling glass shrinking while under pressure will open the stubborn leg (like a couple beers at closing time?)
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

Thanks GlassStarz, you just made me realize I may have had tunnelvision with Delta recommending repairs at 80-100 degrees. Never thought about cooling the glass 10-20 degrees.
Just for the record I don't use rain-x or aquapel. I'm going to conduct "highly scientific" (tongue firmly implanted in cheek) tests to see if it actually does impede resin flow.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

I get to disagree with everyone here!

First, we recommend repairs be done between 70-90 degrees, but up to 100 is still acceptable.

Next, glass does NOT start to swell at 85 degrees.

Don't believe me? Here's what to do...Make a star break on a practice windshield. Get your infrared thermometer and some sort of heating source. Keep measuring heat, and figure out the exact temperature the cracks start to disappear.

Don't cheat just to get on GlassStarz's good side! ;)

SMT West,

Regarding your initial problem, I would bet $0.03 that it is one of two things. Moisture, which everyone has gone over, or the biggie, too much head pressure on the glass from the injector.

Just this last training class, we had someone (who shall remain nameless ;)) that had been doing repairs for a few months, kept having the same problem. Swore up and down to me that he was only turning the injector 1/2-3/4 of a turn down on the windshield. I told that person to come to training, and luckily they did. Turns out that 1/2-3/4 of a turn is VERY subjective. :)

In any case, within 30 minutes of being at the training class, their problems were gone, and they were doing great repairs.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...

SMT West,

If you are using our equipment, call for tech support! That's what it's there for!

:)
Delta Kits, Inc.
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

I have found that RainX and Aquapel are only minor irritants when doing a windshield repair. The only effect it has is that it takes much longer for the pit resin to cure. I live in Oregon which has it's fair share of rain and then some ... in Oregon ALOT of people use these products and I can always do a repair with no variance in quality from a repair done without those products. I just let the pit resin cure longer and POOF it is perfect.
screenman

crack repair

Post by screenman »

Delta kits in the original post he stated that he drilled and popped a perfect bullseye I assume this was at the end of the leg and he tried to fill from there. If he did it seems unlikely that extreme pressure on the injector would stop this from filling.

He states that the bullseye filled perfectly now this would be harder to do if he was applying to much pressure because of the make up of the bullseye ie cone shaped and if we apply to much pressure to the injector seal that will press the glass down and seal the cone.

I stay with moisture.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

But it does shrink when it gets colder right? thus opening the leg science wasnt my strong point but i know it works regardless of why.
What I really want to know is why does sour cream have a expiration date? Isnt it already sour?