New California "Mobile Repair Only" requirement

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ExpertChipRepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

New California "Mobile Repair Only" requirement

Post by ExpertChipRepair »

Apparently California has decided, as of Jan 1, 2019, that all Mobile Windshield Repair Companies need to be licensed as Auto Repair Dealers (ARD).

This makes no sense to me at all considering we dont do Automobile Repair...we do Glass Repair.

Apparently all Windshield Repair Busineses...Mobile included, are supposed to cease operations until licensed...which can take up to 2 months or longer...
Screenshot_20191210-172241_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20191210-172241_Adobe Acrobat.jpg (96.26 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: New California "Mobile Repair Only" requirement

Post by Brent Deines »

I hadn't heard that, thanks for the info! I haven't had time to read up on it yet, I wonder what the cost is, and what hoops you have to jump through to get the license. I also wonder how many windshield repair professionals will comply, and how the requirement will be enforced. On the upside, it might be a marketing opportunity for those who get registered right away.

Keep us posted!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ExpertChipRepair

Further research is leading me to believe I may have been fed misinformation by an overzealous Dept worker who doesnt really know what she is doing.

While Replacement Shops require the $200yr Licensure it would appear that Mobile Repair Only Shops may not...one of the issues I am facing is that nobody can cite an actual statute that pinpoints repair only technicians.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Thanks for the update. Similar questions have popped up licensing and collecting sales tax in California over the years, and often it is a misinformed government employee who is distributing that information. Hopefully that is the case in this instance as well.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ExpertChipRepair

Well, I have the final answer...

Apparently, last year, BAR went to the State Legislature and argued that they needed to have authority over any industry that affects the structural integrity of a Motor Vehicle so that they could regulate it for the safety of all Californians.

The State Legislature agreed and granted them Administrative Authority and got them to repeal existing exemptions from Licensure.

Long Story Short...Windshield Repair Businesses now need to obtain Automobile Repair Dealer (ARD) Licenses in order to Operate in the State of California.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I can actually understand that for replacement as an incorrectly replaced windshield can have a negative effect on the structural integrity of the windshield, however even an incorrectly repaired windshield is no worse than damage that is not repaired. So did you get your license? If so, what did you have to do to get it?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ExpertChipRepair

The process supposedly takes a couple of months and costs $200 per year. No Exam, No Education Requirements, No Standards. The only requirement is a clean criminal record.
kingsglassrepair

Post by kingsglassrepair »

So basically just paying up the Cali gov. mafia there cut to do business...
http://kingsprecisionglassrepair.com
Wayneious

Post by Wayneious »

I wonder if the insurance companies will honor this issue with who that payout in CA with this now being a state requirement for us in CA.
"Success is my duty, responsibility and obligation to myself" - Grant Cardone
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That's a great question. So far I haven't heard from any customers in CA that have been denied payment from an insurance company because they didn't have that license.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.