Surface Pit Repair - WA State recommendations?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
taryns
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Surface Pit Repair - WA State recommendations?

Post by taryns »

I am not in the glass business, but have found this forum very helpful so far. I just got two surface pits on my new car. Unfortunately, they are right in my line of site as well. I had one tech out yesterday that told me they wouldn't spread and there is nothing he can do. I called another company that said they could fill them, but it would not help with the appearance. While I am grateful they won't get worse, I'm hoping the look can be somewhat improved since I have to stare at them!

From reading other posts, it seems like some businesses are willing to resurface/rough up the pit, resin, scrape excess, pit fill and cure and polish.

Do you have any recommendations of companies who would be willing to do this in WA state? I am in Issaquah and work out of Kent.

Any other recommendations are welcomed!
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Surface Pit Repair - WA State recommendations?

Post by Dave M »

Without seeing those pits I'd say both the responses are correct. If they are just surface pits there would be nothing to "repair'. They could be lightly drilled to rough up the pit so resin will adhere better, however the appearance might only be 50% better.
taryns

Post by taryns »

Thanks for the response, Dave. I attached a photo, but it's hard to capture with the glare. If it wasn't right in my line of sight, I wouldn't be be ok completely leaving alone.
knicks.jpg
knicks.jpg (74.75 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
taryns

Post by taryns »

taryns wrote: March 5th, 2020, 10:25 am Thanks for the response, Dave. I attached a photo, but it's hard to capture with the glare. If it wasn't right in my line of sight, I wouldn't be be ok completely leaving alone. knicks.jpg
* Oops - meant "I would be ok"
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Where in Washington State are you? Surface pits to my understanding are considered normal wear and tear and can NOT be submitted through insurance. However I will surface them free of charge for anyone who comes to my shop. They do clean up well and will make your windshield smooth. I am in the Bellingham area at the Bellis Fair Mall most days. Surface chips only take a few minutes to fix. Beware glass shop directly across the street from tried to charge a customer now my customer 120 to fix 3. I did them free for her. Anyway always welcome to stop by say hi and get them repaired. Robert
taryns

Post by taryns »

Thanks, Robert. Unfortunately, I'm all the way down in Issaquah and work out of Kent. I'm fine paying out of pocket too! Let me know if you have any recommendations down this way.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

Steve at yellow dot in Vancouver is a great guy and knows the repair business well. He has helped me more than any other. I am not sure what he charges for surface pits. On surface pits I personally have always just put a small drop of magnibond on it for like 20 seconds then 1 drop pit resin over top curing tab cure scrape polish. The magnibond tends to clean up the surface amazingly well pit polish over to smooth it. It is very fast and simple not sure if that is how others do it but try it and see if that helps it disappear better!